Research ICT Africa
Research ICT Africa conducts public-interest research on the digital economy and society that responds to national, regional and continental needs. It provides relevant stakeholders with the information and analysis required to develop flexible and adaptive policies and regulation to dealwith an increasingly complex and dynamic digital environment. The network will contribute to the gathering and analysis of data and indicators to establish a repository of knowledge for furthering research and digital governance.
Research ICT Africa seeks to appoint a data scientist to be based in Cape Town.
Remuneration: R350 000 - R650 000 per annum (based on experience)
Start date: As soon as possible
- Drive individual and team research outputs from conceptualisation to delivery (include data pre-processing/cleaning, data analysis/modelling, visualization, and presentation of findings).
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes.
- Apply (or develop if necessary) tools to efficiently collect, clean, and prepare high volumes of data for analysis.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team on data analysis to assess digital policy outcomes.
- Visualise data for maximum impact.
- Publish and present research findings at local and international conferences and forums.
- Develop models to uncover insights from mashups of real-world big data, internet measurements, survey data, and prices data.
- Develop and improve existing company datasets and provide insight into leading analytic practices and designs
- Identify and prioritise actionable, high-impact insights across diverse projects and large data sets.
- Lead iterative learning and development circles internally to improve our overall data collection and application ability
- Proven experience as data scientist/analyst
- B.Sc. in related field with 3+ years’ experience applying statistical and/or data mining techniques to real social and/or business problems, while meeting required technical skills.
- Experience in developing and deploying large-scale data science applications, data mining, portal development and data management.
- Understanding of cognitive analytics, data science, machine learning
- Experience in data visualisation tools and techniques or the management of outsourced implementation of them on data projects.
- Expertise in MySQL, DDL, DML, DCL for manipulating, control, and analysing data from large databases.
- Experience working with development toolsets such as Spark, Hadoop, Python, Java, Scala, Cloudera, Cassandra, Docker, Azure/AWS/Google Cloud, MYSQL, MongoDB, NOSQL
- Familiarity with SQL/NoSQL data sources and tools (R, MATLAB, Spark, SQL, NoSQL, Hadoop)
- Interdisciplinary/policy research experience an advantage.
This is a great opportunity for an individual interested in creating a space for themselves with a dynamic and diverse team to play with the wealth of structured and unstructured real world, survey, prices, and internet measurements data to more effectively drive the public interest research to policy influence.
Send your letter of motivation and CV (including list of relevant projects) to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Do you want to be at the pulse of digital policy in Africa? Do you have ideas about how data can be used innovatively to develop an evidence base for policymakers to ensure digital inclusion and contribute to sustainable development? Are you comfortable moving between economic and social indicators and technical measurements and big data analytics? Are you excited about how the flood of data and information being generated may be made accessible, visualised and interactive? How does working at a think tank based in a reclaimed warehouse in the tech and design heart of Cape Town with a view of the iconic Table Mountain, South Africa sound?
For more about Research ICT Africa, refer to https://researchictafrica.net/vision-and-mission/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies