Location: Botswana, eSwatini, Lesotho, Malawi and Zambia, South Africa or SADC Region
Freedom House seeks a consultant to review, edit, design and layout prepared documents for a Regional Political Parties Manual.
Democracy Works Foundation (DWF) in partnership with Freedom House is implementing the Southern African Political Parties and Dialogue (SAPP&D) Program, a project aimed at deepening the democratic values and institutions and practices of political parties to operate in an inclusive, responsive, democratic and transparent manner. The SAPP&D Program has operations in Botswana, eSwatini, Lesotho, Malawi and Zambia. The four year USAID supported political party strengthening program seeks to increase the ability of political parties to conceive and deliver policies to their constituents, by facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues that build the capacity of political parties better represent the needs of the citizenry in the areas of water and energy resources management. FH is a non-governmental human rights organization headquartered in Washington DC, with a Regional Office for Southern Africa in Johannesburg. FH works to defend human rights and promote democratic change, with a focus on political rights and civil liberties. DWF is a regional non-profit, non-partisan organization committed to empowering citizens with the tools to make democracy work, by implementing innovative interventions to foster inclusive development.
Description of the Assignment
A key undertaking of the SAPP&D Program is to provide political parties in Botswana, eSwatini, Lesotho, Malawi and Zambia with the relevant readily available information, training materials, statistical and other qualitative data as resources to enable them to improve their internal party structures and systems, as well as encourage their responsiveness to water and energy policy issues experienced by their constituents. The SAPP&D Program has developed a number of Modules that political parties in the said countries are currently utilizing in order to deepen their skill-set in that regard.
Thus, Freedom House is seeking a consultant to conceptualize the structure, design and production of a Political Parties’ Manual that has been developed by SAPP&D. The consultant will conceptualize a user friendly design and layout framework for the Political Parties Capacity Development Modules, composed of a Facilitators Guide, a Participants’ Guide and for the Module Resources. The eleven Modules already exist in a text format and the average length of each module is approximately twenty five pages.
In coordination and consultation with Freedom House, the Consultant’s key tasks will include, but are not limited to:
Developing a draft simplified design and layout for each of the 11 modules. The draft, simplified versions should follow the layout instructions currently included in the text-only study guides, and ensure correct spacing of headings and text; and developing a finalized user-friendly and print-ready design and layout for each of the eleven modules of publishable quality.
Freedom House will work in close collaboration with the Consultant to ensure that the copy editing, layout and typesetting standards are of high quality, oversee the design of covers of each Module, ensure front pieces are written, and ISDN numbers are obtained for each of the Modules. FH will facilitate the writing of a common Manual Preface, as needed.
- Draft simplified versions Facilitator’s and Participants’ Guides of each of the eleven modules of the Political Party Capacity Development Manual.
- Final user-friendly and print ready versions of each of the eleven Modules, individual packaged.
- A complete set of all the Modules, consolidated as a Manual Handbook.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Experience in Graphic Design, Creative or Visual Arts, Journalism, Strategic Communications or Media.
- At least five years’ experience working for governmental institutions or reputable non-governmental organizations in graphic design, copy editing, publishing and layout design.
- Ability to review documents, interpret and synthesize information and present it in a creative manner.
- Excellent skills in data visualization and experience in info-graphic designing and ability to design using various design software packages.
- At least five years' experience working in a relevant field preferably with organizations based in SADC.
- Strong research and writing experience and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with training material design for party level audiences in desirable.
- Strong work ethic, ability to meet deadlines and project management experience.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Consultants will be paid a daily rate, negotiable within Freedom House accepted consultancy rates. All other costs required for the successful completion of the consultancy, such as material and travel expenses are to be identified in consultation with and provided by Freedom House.
These Terms of Reference describe the general scope of the project and its basic requirements. Interested candidates with adequate experience are encouraged to contact us directly for specific and full details of the consultancy, including the expected outputs.
The proposed timeframe will be discussed between Freedom House and the shortlisted candidates.
Skilled candidates must submit an application to email@example.com by 15 November 2019 consisting of:
- A Curriculum Vitae of a maximum length of six pages detailing relevant experience for the services required.
- A Motivation Letter explaining how your qualifications/experience make you an ideal candidate.
- Desired daily rate for consulting, an estimated number of days to carry out the work and a projected total budget in US$ to carry out key activities. Consulting rates must be justified in the proposal by reference to previous work, including examples of design and layout work. Candidates may also attach recent relevant writing samples.
- Full contact details of at least two references in respect of work conducted in the last eighteen months.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Applications will be evaluated on their responsiveness to the scope of work, relevant and demonstrated experience and cost effectiveness.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Freedom House will accept proposals from individuals and not-for-profit companies only.
For more about Freedom House, refer to www.freedomhouse.org