The African Centre for Biodiversity (ACB) is a registered NPO based in South Africa and working throughout the African continent. The ACB is committed to dismantling inequalities in the food and agriculture systems in Africa and to promoting agro-ecology and food sovereignty as feasible alternatives.
Based in Johannesburg, The African Centre for Biodiversity seeks to fill the following vacancy: Bookkeeper
The Bookkeeper must be an experience individual who will manage and maintain the financial affairs and records of The African Centre for Biodiversity (ACB). The Bookkeeper will be required to be in office 3 days a week.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Updating and maintaining the ACB’s financial systems and filing
- Reviewing and monitoring financial systems and suggest possible improvements to the efficiency and effectiveness of the organisation
- Maintaining the ACB’s financial records according to the requirements of the law, the Board of Directors and ACB’s funders
- Coding payments according to line items in various Project budgets, in consultation with the Executive Director and Financial Administrator
- Capturing payments made and update the cash book and general ledger on Quickbooks
- Preparing monthly management accounts and updates of expenditure and available budget per budget line per funder to facilitate day to day financial management
- Preparing quarterly financial updates to the ACB Board of Directors
- Reconciling bank statements
- Liaising with the Auditors regarding the financial records and audit
- Following-up and notifying the Director of funder deadlines for reports
- Preparing financial reports as per the format and requirements of funders
- Corresponding with funders concerning the financial reporting when requested to do so by the Director
- Checking requisition forms and prepare payments to service providers
- Preparing monthly payments and staff payroll
- Assisting in allocating and monitoring spending according to donor contracts
- Providing assistance to the Director in the preparation of new budgets for funders
- Ensuring the ACB’s compliance with SARS requirements and other taxes and levies that may apply to the organisation
The Bookkeeper must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- Bookkeeping diploma/certificate
- A minimum of 10 years NGO Bookkeeping experience
- Ability to work independently and to tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Ability to work well in teams
- Good computer skills
ACB has an Employment Equity policy in place, and is committed to racial and gender equality in our divided and unequal society. Preference will therefore be given to black African and women candidates.
Salary range for this exciting position is in the range of R216 000 – R270 000 depending of experience and suitability.
If you are interested in joining the dedicated team at ACB please send your CV and a motivation letter stating why you want to work there and why you believe you are a perfect match by Friday 01st November 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org