12 - 14 November 2019, Cape Town (Free introductory webinar on 9 October)
The purpose of this course is to assist evaluators and those commissioning evaluations to conceptualise, design and manage the implementation of appropriate and robust evaluations using a participatory, capacity-building approach.
Our training approach: Southern Hemisphere facilitates courses that are practical and practice-led. We create an inspiring, creative, theoretically based and practical learning environment where you can build practical skills and share experiences.
What you will learn:
The objectives of this course are to improve your:
- Understanding of evaluation design as having both technical and process perspectives.
- Understanding of how the types of evaluations (e.g. design evaluation, implementation evaluation, summative evaluation, impact evaluation) should influence the evaluation design
- Ability to select an appropriate approach for an evaluation, including both qualitative and quantitative approaches (e.g. document/literature review, most significant change, outcome harvesting, contribution analysis and quasi-experimental evaluation design, etc.)
- Ability to choose appropriate data collection, sampling and data analysis methods (qualitative and quantitative) to respond to key evaluation questions.
- Improved understanding of utilisation focused evaluation and how these can be practically applied through a participatory, capacity building evaluation process.
- Ability to develop an evaluation framework/plan based on evaluation questions and assessment criteria.
- Ability to better articulate your evaluation requirements and assess the appropriateness of an evaluation proposal.
- Ability to assess the quality of the evaluation process and deliverables based on "indicators" of a good quality evaluation process (from terms of reference through to the utilisation of the evaluation)
See full course outline
About the trainer: Dena Lomofsky is a Development Sociologist, the Founder of Southern Hemisphere, (https://www.southernhemisphere.co.za/), a leading socio-economic development consultancy, committed to social justice. She has more than 20 years' experience in designing and conducting evaluations, providing support to organisations in strengthening their MEL systems and practice and training related topics. She is a skilled researcher, evaluator, trainer and facilitator with a special interest in participatory practices. Dena is the annual guest lecturer on Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation for the Masters in Department Studies (University of Cape Town) and her most recent clients include Comic Relief, the Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation in the Presidency, The Mastercard Foundation and the Community Organisation Resource Centre (CORC).
Sign me up!
Workshop costs: R 9,700 (incl. course materials and certificate). Special discount of 10% applies for groups of 3 people or more.
Want a preview of the course? Join our free webinar as an introduction to the course on Wednesday, 9 October at 3pm (CEST).
Contact Miriam for more information or to sign up! +27214220205 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Southern Hemisphere, refer to https://www.southernhemisphere.co.za/About.aspx
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies