Built Environment Support Group (BESG)
Established in 1983, the Built Environment Support Group (BESG) is a leading non-profit organization in the development sector, located in Pietermaritzburg but with operations across the province of KwaZulu-Natal. We primarily support low income communities in accessing land, basic services and housing. We undertake donor-funded and consulting work in project management, training, process facilitation, and advocacy based research. We have a strong tradition of social innovation and promoting community participation in development processes.
We are seeking someone who will:
- Work with the Board of Directors in developing the strategic direction for BESG and organisational capacity for the future;
- Be responsible overall for operational planning, budgeting, delivering on contractual commitments, and financial and human resource management;
- Establish and maintain clear lines of reporting and responsibility between our Board of Directors, outsourced finance team, funders and clients;
- Manage small multi-disciplinary teams of in-house and outsourced professionals;
- Project and manage the agreed profile of the organisation, and build and maintain effective stakeholder relations;
- Diversify and grow our funding base to achieve long term sustainability.
The successful candidate will:
- Possess a post graduate qualification in a built environment discipline or equivalent experience;
- Have a sound understanding of legislation and policy relating to low income housing;
- Have at least 7 years’ business or NPO management/leadership experience in a community context;
- Have a strong sense of ethics and commitment to social justice;
- Have an overview of all the elements of work in BESG, and be able to delegate appropriately to those who can manage some elements.
- Have excellent communication, report-writing and financial management skills;
- Be a strategic thinker, able to analyse and navigate politics in the KwaZulu-Natal context;
- Be a good listener before providing answers; able to learn and enable others to learn;
- Be able to direct, manage and work with diverse multi – disciplinary teams;
- Have a clean code EB driving license and no criminal record.
This is an Affirmative Action post. To apply, please send a CV no longer than 5 pages and motivation letter, with 3 traceable references, indicating your current or most recent salary, to email@example.com.
Closing date: 17H00 on Friday 25 October.