Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS)
The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) implementing programs for Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW), Men who have Sex with men (MSM), and Transgender (TG) people in Mpumalanga, Free State, Limpopo and North West Provinces from April 2019 – March 2022.
As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, based in the Johannesburg.
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Finance and Administration Manager will provide overall Finance and Administration (F&A) leadership and day-to-day management, to ensure efficient and effective IHPS operations
The incumbent shall be responsible for the overall F&A leadership and day-to-day management to ensure effective and smooth IHPS operations
1. Finance and Accounting
- Provide oversight and support the Finance Officer (FO) to
- Manage cash disbursements, cash receipts, accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivables summaries and journal entries for adjustments to ledger sheets.
- Ensure all transactions are booked properly and in a timely manner.
- Ensure financial statements are accurate and up-to-date, and prepared in accordance with sound accounting standards and IHPS finance and accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly cash flow projection, and make sure funds are timely and adequately requested from the funding agencies or principal recipients.
- Create and apply fiscal controls and procedures within the F&A unit, with the support of the CEO.
- Develop and monitor IHPS budgets, conducts periodic audits, budget analysis and comparisons to actual expenses, with support from the CEO.
- Coordinate the statutory audit as per the donor and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) requirements.
- Work closely with FO and Contracts and Grants Officer (CGO) to manage IHPS ICT, ensuring affordable, fair and cost-effective deployment
- Support and supervise the Office Administrator (OA) to provide day-to-day operations support to IHPS, as per OA job description.
- Provide overall leadership and management for the maintenance of current IHPS asset registers across all IHPS offices as required.
- Lead and encourage F&A staff to contribute to the development and improvement of IHPS processes and systems.
- Assists the CEO in reviewing and revising policies and procedures, to contribute towards the attainment of the IHPS mission and vision.
- Engage with the Global Fund Principal Recipients and other funders’ Finance and Grants Management team on a regular basis, to meet all the funder’s financial reporting requirements.
3. Contracts and Grants
- Provide overall management and leadership oversight for the management of IHPS contracts and grants.
- Supervise the CGO to manage IHPS contracts, subgrants and grants as outlined in their job descriptions.
- Ensure that the contracts and subaward processes are executed properly in accordance with the IHPS procurement and subaward management policies and procedures.
4. Human Resources
- Assign and distribute fiscal responsibilities to F&A staff as appropriate.
- Train, coach, mentor and supportively supervise F&A staff based on capacity building needs identified.
- Support the FO to work closely with the Human Resource Practitioner (HRP) to efficiently execute the monthly payroll and SARS statutory payments.
- Encourage FO and OA to work closely with HRP to implement an efficient leave management system i.e. capture leave data real-time, resolve leave queries and maintain up-to-date leave records.
- Participate in orientation and in-service training of IHPS staff, as appropriate.
- Promote and facilitate adherence to IHPS finance and accounting standard operating procedures (SOPs) including but not limited to cost-effective procurement processes.
- Implement practical approaches to ensure adherence to IHPS finance, accounting, procurement and subaward management policies and procedures, as well as funding agency requirements.
- Conduct routine compliance assessments to evaluate IHPS overall compliance with organizational and funding agencies requirements, and address any gaps identified
6. Risk Management
- Maintain an up-to-date internal audit plan and track implementation as appropriate.
- Liaise with external auditors, ensures the statutory corporate requirements as laid out by SA governing rules and regulations are carried out.
- Ensure timely preparation of audit financial schedules making sure the balances are reconciled and variances explained.
- Develop and implement a current organizational risk management plan to address gaps identified from routine internal audits and annual external audits and thus mitigate potential risks.
- Ensure that all levels of risk that IHPS may be exposed to are identified and measures put in place for risk mitigation.
- Actively participates in IHPS strategic planning and annual work planning processes
- Represent IHPS at relevant IHPS, funding agency or any other relevant forums as directed by the CEO.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CEO.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Command of other official languages would be an added advantage;
- Experience in F&A management;
- Experience in managing and building capacity (i.e. training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision) of F&A staff;
- Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision;
- A team player with good interpersonal skills;
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills;
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and project management tools;
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree (Masters equivalent) in finance, accounting or business administration or related field
- At least five years of proven work experience at senior management level
- Finance and accounting experience in non-for-profit organizations funded by local and international funding agencies
- Demonstrated experience in Global Fund, PEPFAR or other donor grants management is preferred.
- In-depth understanding of donor rules and regulations would be an added advantage.
- Proven familiarity with the South African health and development systems.
Technical support visits to IHPS field offices are inherent to the position.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 30th September 2019