Symphonia for South Africa
Symphonia for South Africa NPC (SSA) is a public benefit organisation offering a variety of programmes that mobilise active citizenship to improve social cohesion and enable large-scale social change in South Africa. The organisation has been recognised as one of the world’s 100 best NGOs by Geneva-based NGO Advisor, and currently has a team of 32 full-time employees across the country and several part-time contract workers.
Partners for Possibility (PfP) is SSA’s flagship project, launched in 2011 to promote and facilitate year-long leadership development partnerships between school principals and business leaders. The goal of the PfP programme is to develop conscious leadership in under-resourced schools through cross-sectoral partnerships. In 8 years, PfP has grown its footprint to more than 1,000 under-resourced schools across the country and has won multiple South African and international awards for its innovative and transformational methodology.
Symphonia for South Africa seeks to appoint a M&E administrator to be based in Cape Town.
Start Date:The position is available from 23 September, or as soon as a suitable candidate is available.
- Monitoring the implementation of the PfP programme across the country and engaging with all members of the team about any issues arising;
- Attending (in conjunction with operations team) to the robustness of our processes and accuracy of our records
- reporting to corporate and philanthropic funders, to update them on the progress of the participants they have funded
- evaluating PfP’s impact by a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods such as running and analysing surveys, analysing other documentation submitted, as well as quantitative data from Department of Education or other third parties, as well as liaising with external researchers or evaluators;
- harvesting stories of impact (case studies, interviews, site visits) and liaising with the marketing and communications team;
- Surfacing trends and helping articulate the strategic value of PfP for purposes of communication and fundraising.
- Developing an online knowledge sharing platform for the benefit of our national community of principals and business partners.
- Detailed job description and requirements
- Job description
- The main responsibility of the M&E administrator will be to see to the appropriate sourcing and storing of key data from the circles participating in the PfP programme. This involves:
- Retrieving documents, photos, stories from whatsapp and e-mail correspondence and making sure that these are saved in the appropriate folder on Dropbox
- Driving SurveyMonkey surveys and reminding people telephonically to give their feedback
- Checking that the appropriate reports and forms are submitted by the various parties and keeping track of documents missing
- Liaising with colleagues to obtain the missing documents or else a telephonic information
- Attending meetings, taking notes and liaising with colleagues to ensure that the decisions taken in meetings are indeed reflected in our records.
- During the period of the transition to a new data management system, the administrator will help with: capturing data, testing the system, and reporting issues encountered while using it. Later he/she will be tasked with helping migrating existing data to the new system.
- The M&E administrator will be an integral part of the M&E team and will liaise with other members of the broader team. He/she will bring any particular worry to the attention of the M&E Lead.
- A tertiary qualification in office administration (diploma or similar qualification)
- At least 1 year of work experience in administration, specifically with file management
- Excellent organisational skills
- Very good proficiency with Excel and the office suite
- Very strong teamwork ability, including ability to connect remotely with team members
- Very good English communication skills (oral + written)
- A passion for non-profit work in education and willingness to contribute meaningfully
- Willingness to adhere to the “Symphonia way of being”, including curiosity and respect for different cultural backgrounds
- The following would be definite advantages:
- Experience of working with dropbox
- Experience of working in a non-profit environment
- Experience in IT projects would be useful for the project related to the data management system.
- Note: This is an Employment Equity opportunity.
- Benefits for the administrator
- Working for Symphonia for South Africa is a hugely rewarding experience in terms of:
- Working in cross-cultural settings and exposure to South Africa’s education system and to the business sector
- An opportunity to attend world-class leadership development workshops and to interact with team members who embody state-of-the-art leadership practices on a daily basis
- An opportunity to witness how the award-winning PfP process changes people’s lives and changes South Africa
- An opportunity to contribute meaningfully to addressing South Africa’s education crisis.
The M&E and KM unit is currently split between Cape Town (small office in Salt River) and Johannesburg.
To apply, please send your applications to Magali@Symphonia.net with the subject “Application for the position of M&E Administrator.” The application must include:
- Your CV;
- A cover letter explaining your motivation, your relevant experience and indicating the date at which you are available;
- At least 3 references with contact details.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Symphonia for South Africa, refer to www.symphonia.net
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies