mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across eight sub-Saharan countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower HIV-positive women to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families.
Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. In 2017, m2m and its partners enrolled 2.3 million new clients. m2m has virtually eliminated mother-to-child transmission of HIV among the enrolled clients it serves directly for the last four years, with an average transmission rate of just 1.6%, while 97% of children in its ECD programmes meet all of their development milestones at
Systems Integration and Optimisation Specialist – Cape Town
Recognised as a leader in delivering complementary care and support services, over the past 18 years, m2m has contributed meaningfully to virtually eliminating mother-to-child transmission of HIV (MTCT) within its client cohorts, and improving reproductive, maternal, new-born, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH) outcomes. The scale and scope of the m2m programme has expanded since 2014 to combat the causes and effects of HIV/AIDS in a more comprehensive manner. In 2018, m2m Mentor Mothers provided direct RMNCAH, ECD/OVC, prevention of MTCT as well as HIV Care and Support services to an estimated 1,075,741 beneficiaries in 8 countries in Southern and East Africa.
Programmatic expansion at scale and a competitive funding environment necessitate continued, progressive investment in system development within and across m2m departments to ensure quality of care and organisational sustainability. Against this background, m2m is seeking to employ a Systems Integration and Optimisation Specialist to follow-through on, and optimise the aggressive system development in the organisation - particularly in DPTS since 2015.
This post is of significant strategic operational importance in the organisation. As a senior member of the Department of Programmes and Technical Support, this role reports to the Head of the Department, DPTS. The position is tasked with the integration and optimisation of Research and Strategic Information (RSI) Systems for improved Programme Analytics as well as the integration and optimisation of organisation-wide systems for improved Business Analytics. Thus, the purpose of this role is two-fold:
- to integrate and optimise existing systems, and set-up new systems where required, to improve access to information and utilisation of information to support the RSI transition from static, data-driven M&E (accessible to a few), to dynamic, integrated, knowledge-based Programme Analytics (accessible to all);
- to do the developmental groundwork, and to design and implement the appropriate intra- and inter-departmental integrated systems, infrastructure and platform for meaningful Business Analytics that will enhance m2m’s competitive edge. This will entail design of the systems / platforms that support the integration of data, information, and knowledge generated across different m2m departments – notably DPTS, Finance and HR.
The position is based at the m2m Head Office in Cape Town with opportunities for occasional travel.
Key Performance Areas:
Lead and manage integrated systems development / design and systems implementation for intra- and inter-departmental data processing, storage, analytics and reporting in support of key organisational processes and functions – including but not limited to running Programme / Project Analytics and Business Analytics for strategic decision-making. [80%]
- Assess, optimise and integrate components of the RSI system (the existing RSI digital platform), to enable insightful routine and ad hoc Programme / Project Analytics for the purpose of Programme / Project Performance Management, Operations Research and Evaluation.
- Assess, optimise and integrate data structures, data processing and reporting systems across relevant m2m departments and units (notably DPTS, Finance, and HR) to enable insightful routine and ad hoc organisation-wide inter- and intra-departmental Business Analytics.
- Develop and test new system solutions in support of organisation-wide Programme / Project Analytics and Business Analytics.
- Continuously evaluate, test and modifying systems to ensure that that they consistently operate reliably.
- Continuously consult system users to determine their needs in order to ensure relevance and quality of products / deliverables / system outputs, and to ensure that user and project requirements are met. [5%]
- Manage the m2m Digital Data Team (Digital Health Associate and Data Scientist). [5%]
- Provide / oversee user training, support, advice and feedback, including training material development. [5%]
- Keep up to date with new technology and continuously make recommendations for system upgrades and innovations. [5%]
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree (or equivalent professional experience) in a relevant field such as Business Information Systems, Information Systems Engineering, Information Science or related quantitative analytical field.
- Minimum of 10-15 years’ experience as an Information Specialist, Information System Engineer, Business Systems Analyst or related position in a corporate and / or non-profit environment.
- Proven track record in software engineering, utilising programming language(s), developing code and documenting system artefacts, including test protocols and ensuring that output is as per the given specifications.
- Proven track record in data warehouse development / data base development, management, and administration.
- Proven track record in data management / data flow system development, system integration, system optimisation and implementation.
- Proven track record in managing data migration and data Extraction, Transformation and Loading (ETL).
- Proven track record in leading organizational / institutional Programme Analytics and Business Analytics processes and teams.
- Proven track record in working in the field of Health and Development.
- Proven track record in the field of Financial Management.
- Experience in using STATA is a strong recommendation.
- Experience using business intelligence / visualisation tools (specifically Tableau) is a strong recommendation.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong technical skills in business, mathematics, statistics and computer science
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Team work skills
- Strong organisation skills and time management
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong management and leadership skills
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
- Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 06 September 2019
- For more, visit www.m2m.org.