The Black Sash
ADVERT FOR THE POSITION OF EDUCATION, TRAINING & Research MANAGER
The Black Sash aim is to enable the strengthening of a vibrant civil society, particularly at a local level, which observes, organises and acts, with an emphasis on the needs and experience of women and the girls, to recorgnise and exercise their human rights, particularly their social and economic rights; and create a society that has effective laws and delivery systems, including comprehensive social protection for the most vulnerable. We want to ensure that all sectors of society take responsibility for reducing inequality and poverty. Our belief is that through individual and collective non-violent action, active citizens have the power to change their own situation and impact on society as a whole.
The Black Sash seeks to appoint an Education, Training and Research Manager, based in Mowbray, Cape Town.
Start date: Immediately
Employment Type: Permanent
Remuneration: R 424 054.35 per annum
The purpose of the task of the Education, Training and Research Manager is to plan, support and implement education and training programmes and activities in regions and nationally with a focus on strengthening the role of community based organizations and structures.
- COURSE DESIGN AND DELIVERY:
- Design and execute education & training courses, workshops and events (both leading nationally and/or supporting the programmes at regional office level) relevant to the context and the target audiences including training of trainers level. Ensure the development and implementation of a coherent education and training strategy.
- MATERIALS DEVELOPMENT AND DISEMINATION:
- Develop and update training materials, programme brochures/flyers, booklets (both hard and electronic copies) for wider dissemination to the public and/or target audiences aligned to the priorities of the organization nationally and regionally. Where appropriate, work in partnership with outsourced service providers, including translators.
- Conduct, commission and project manage research initiatives of the organization. Interface with honours, masters and PHD students on selected research initiatives. Track specific research projects. Help integrate the research results into the work of the organization.
- SPECIAL NATIONAL PROJECTS:
- The Education, Training and Research Manager will be responsible for coordinating and implementing special national projects, structured around a plan of action with clear deliverables, milestones and activities, budgets, role allocation, and communication mechanisms.
- STAFF MANAGEMENT:
- The effective management of volunteers, interns and staff in the Education & Training unit, including the development work plans, setting performance standards, and conducting work review and appraisal in line with the Human Resource policies.
- ADMINISTRATION, FINANCE & FUNDRAISING:
- Develop a budget for the national Information, Education and Training programme. Adhere to organizational financial and administration policies, procedures and systems. Assist with the mobilization of resources for programme and for specialized projects. Produce quarterly reports; provide information on the progress and challenges of programme delivery.
- A degree in law or social sciences.
- A tertiary qualification in Adult Education.
- Valid Driver’s Licence
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of key issues in the area of human rights, social justice and poverty studies.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the broader development and political context in South Africa.
- Thorough knowledge of the SA Constitution as well as government precepts, regulations and laws – with specific emphasis on Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, Social Security Law, Consumer Law, and Labour Law.
- Understanding of International Law and African/ International human rights instruments and conventions.
- Knowledge and understanding of the 3 spheres of government, government departments and agencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of civil society in building democracy.
- Excellent project management skills, strong planning, organisational, strategic and analytical skills.
- Confidence with information and communication technology and social media.
- A minimum of 5 years working experience in the area of social justice in the civil society sector in South Africa.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in the design and facilitation of education and training curriculum embedded in adult education and participatory methodologies including training of trainers.
- A minimum of 3 years continuous project management experience (with a provincial, regional or national scope).
- A minimum of 3 years continuous staff management experience (teams of three people or more).
- Materials development, advocacy, community development, policy and research experience would be valuable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required, and at least one other South African language
The Black Sash is looking for a candidate that is committed to human rights, access to justice, development and empowerment with integrity, honesty and has respect for confidentiality. A person who will be able to work in a team and with a transparent, accountable and consultative style and embrace the values, vision, strategies and policies of the Black Sash. Confidence to work at community level as well as to take part in high level public & policy forums and engage with the public media. A candidate who is able to think pro-actively, creatively and responsively and prepared to work hard, under pressure and to deadline, often beyond normal office hours, and to travel extensively.
Preference will be given to women in line with our Employment Equity Plan. The candidate must be prepared to travel.
To apply, submit a Cover Letter and CV, including three contactable referees to: email@example.com or fax to 021 686 7168
Enquiries: Mr. JS Marques Tel #: (021) 686 6952
A full job description is available on request.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more information about the Black Sash, refer to www.blacksash.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within a month from the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.