mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across eight sub-Saharan countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower HIV-positive women to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. In 2017, m2m and its partners enrolled 2.3 million new clients. m2m has virtually eliminated mother-to-child transmission of HIV among the enrolled clients it serves directly for the last four years, with an average transmission rate of just 1.6%, while 97% of children in its ECD programmes meet all of their development milestones at 12 months. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
The Programme Manager (PM) is a member of the Country Management Unit (CMU), with responsibility for managing country programmes and projects, working closely with all functional units of the organisation, including Finance, Human Resources, Grants & Compliance, Programmes and Technical Support, and Business Development. The position reports to the Senior Portfolio Lead (SPL) and works within the CMU to support a portfolio of countries and cross-cutting organisational projects. The individual will be based at m2m Head Office, with regular travel.
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in public health, social sciences, or related field.
- Master’s degree in public health or policy advantageous.
- 5-7 years’ experience working on international development and health projects and with non-governmental organisations.
- Demonstrated experience developing donor and project reports, work plans, budgets, and proposals.
- Experience managing cross-organisational processes.
- Direct experience with managing bi- and multi-lateral funding mechanisms, for example USAID, CDC, DFID, UNICEF, foundation, and other government and private donor funding instruments and regulations.
- Demonstrated experience throughout the project management lifecycle including business development, implementation, course correction, reporting, and financial and human resources management.
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa and with multi-cultural teams.
- Mastery of project lifecycles and programme development and implementation.
- Proficiency in people and process management in a dynamic environment.
- Portuguese working fluency advantageous.
- Ability to work independently, think analytically, and to solve problems.
- Ability to manage and prioritise multiple responsibilities under pressure.
- Ability to manage cross-cutting projects with diverse project teams.
- Excel and budgeting literacy.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience with new project start-up at country level.
- Experience working with and understanding of HIV/AIDS, health programmes, and community settings.
- Excellent writing skills including analytical reports and proposals.
- Computer literacy (including MS Office Suite).
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
- Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 23 August 2019