ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability
Senior Professional Officer/Professional Officer:
Energy & Emissions
(2 year fixed term contract position with the potential of renewal)
ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities. ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s network cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org).
ICLEI Africa invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position below, to join our African team of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
The successful candidate must have a strong technical background related to energy, in relation to the field of climate change mitigation and/or air quality. Specific experience in renewable energy policy and energy access is required. We are looking for someone to join our team to contribute strongly to the progression of our energy and emissions work on the continent; working with sub-national and national stakeholders to enable access to sustainable energy in African cities that is utilised efficiently and comes from renewable sources. Candidates, via their applications, should provide evidence of the following experience:
- Worked with stakeholders in Africa to develop policies and practices that promote energy efficiency, renewable energy and energy access. It will be advantageous if this experience is related to work at the local and/ or sub-national level.
- Planning and implementation of projects, with proven experience of working in multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Stakeholder engagement, strategic partnerships, business development and acquisition, resource mobilisation and partnership development.
Requirements of this position:
- Relevant Honours, Masters or PhD degree in energy, engineering, resource economics, or equivalent qualification.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Proficiency in English and another global language, especially French, Portuguese and/ or Swahili will be a strong added advantage.
- Proven experience in project and people management.
- Ability to produce technical reports, academic papers, popular articles, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in.
- Innovative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well- established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across Africa and internationally.
Further requirements for all ICLEI staff:
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations, as well as the private sector on behalf of ICLEI.
- Ability to be agile and flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure.
- Possess problem-solving and analytical skills, be well-organised, with attention to detail and quality, and have a structured and pro-active working style.
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills.
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience.
- South African resident/ valid work or critical skills permit.
- A valid passport or the ability to obtain a valid passport within one month of appointment.
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to travel extensively, locally and internationally.
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context.
Please forward a comprehensive CV, covering (motivating) letter, and:
- a certified copy of your ID and/ or documentation indicating your ability to work in South Africa,
- available starting date, and
- three contactable references,
To Mellissa Moses (email@example.com) by Wednesday, the 21st of August 2019.
No late applications will be considered.
A market-related and competitive annual remuneration package (TCOE based) will be offered to successful candidates, taking into consideration qualifications and experience.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 60 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful.
ICLEI Africa reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.