Education development Center (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, is implementing the South Africa School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity (the Activity), a contract that supports the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education (DBE) to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
The Senior Accountant will assist the Director of Financial Management and Operations in budgeting, procurement oversight, and records management. S/he will be responsible for preparing timely and accurate financial reporting and assisting in the preparation of monthly financial spreadsheets, cash flow forecasts, data entry, corresponding with vendors as appropriate, and ensuring the office follows EDC and USAID financial procedures. The Senior Accountant will ensure sound fiscal management systems comply with donor rules and regulations and will coordinate with technical staff to ensure smooth implementation of activities. This person reports to the Director of Financial Management and Operations and also collaborates with EDC home office financial analysts, project coordinators and the Project Director.
The role requires someone with strong communication skills, highly self-driven and accountable, impeccable attention to detail and ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites and funders and to work respectfully with EDC Colleagues. The role also requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
- Support EDC financial management/accounting functions;
- Assist with prompt and supportive feedback to inquiries related to sponsors activities;
- Assist with compliance and adherence to donor regulations and procedures;
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reporting;
- Support budget revisions;
- Track budget/expenses to ensure proper cash flow;
- Assist with financial audit preparation;
- Maintenance of files as well as project’s inventory;
- Perform accounting transactions;
- Provide on the job training, related to financial procedures of the project, for other staff;
- Ensure compliance and adherence to donor regulations and procedures, including maintenance of internal control and accountability of EDC resources;
- Assist with audit findings and their resolutions, taking the lead when requested;
- Assist with program resources management;
- Provide financial management inputs in implementation and monitoring funded activities;
- Ensure that staff advances (staff travel) are documented, recorded, reconciled and paid out timeously;
- Ensure that payment of the payroll is executed accurately and timeously;
- Ensure compliance, payment and recording of all statutory withholdings to government agencies (PAYE, UIF, SDL, COIDA, VAT, etc.);
- Collaborate with staff on implementing and monitoring of financial budget;
- Undertake periodic field visits to supervise and monitor financial processes;
- Other adhoc duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field with 7-8 years relevant experience, or
- Master's degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field with 3-5 years relevant experience; 3-5 years supervisory experience;
- 5-7 years working experience in administration, finance and management required;10 years working experience in administration, finance and management preferred
- Experience with USAID contract funding highly desired;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Proficient in Excel, QuickBooks and MS 2000
- Knowledge of Labor Laws, Tax Laws and Import Laws highly desired
- Extensive knowledge and experience in compiling and reviewing monthly/annual audit schedules
- Solid experience in budgets management and delivering successful audits
- Successfully led in the input and handling of financial data
- Sound experience in journals consolidation, preparing and reviewing balance sheets
- Experience in maintaining and coordinating the implementation of accounting control procedures
- Solid analytical skills, highly meticulous and deep appreciation for processes and compliance
- Commitment to EDC mission and the objectives of this initiative
Application and contact details:
The competitive salary and currency will follow EDC’s policies for South Africa.
This is not a posted position and no relocation will be provided.
Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa.
Interested qualified candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 August 2019.
To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Senior Accountant” in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, and competitive remuneration.