VVOB South Africa
The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a non-profit organization which contributes to the improvement of the quality of education in 10 different countries around the world.
The current VVOB country programme Leadership and teaching for diversity (2017 – 2021) is addressing school leadership and teaching for diversity to improve the quality of teaching and learning for all children. Partners are DBE, SACE, and the provincial departments of education of Free State and KwaZulu Natal
VVOB SA, in collaboration with GreenMatter, has secured funding from the Flemish Government for a 3-year project (1/9/2019 – 30/8/2022) on Climate Change Education (KIC, Keep it Cool). The overall objective is to create an enabling environment in which secondary schools in KwaZulu Natal (KZN), Eastern Cape and Limpopo make CCE part of school and classroom practice. The project will support 100 secondary schools in the implementation of innovative, curriculum-aligned CCE projects that actively involve students and surrounding communities.
The enabling environment for the implementation of CCE projects can be understood as a combination of capacity development support (professional development for teachers and school leaders) and strategic support (adaptation of policies and guidelines; availability of learning and teaching support materials; strengthened inter-departmental collaboration). In addition, the project includes several measures that contribute to replicability and scalability of the chosen approach (creation of an evidence-base about the effects of the professional development offered and of the CCE projects; a solid communication strategy to inspire schools, students and communities beyond the scope of the project).
VVOB is looking for a Project Coordinator to join the team in Durban to coordinate the implementation of this CCE project in 3 provinces.
The Programme Coordinator is an experienced individual with sound project management, technical assistance and capacity development background with affinity for education and environment. S/he is responsible for the coordination, overall planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of results/activities (mainly in KZN and EC, but with occasional travel to Pretoria and Limpopo). S/he is also responsible for budget management, procurement, administration and logistics of all activities. S/he will manage the human, financial and other resources available to the programme. S/he works in close collaboration with the team (of VVOB and GreenMatter) and reports to the Programme Manager.
- To coordinate and assist in the timely implementation of the project, including preparation of reports and documents as per donor’s requirements.
- To hold delegated responsibility on planning, monitoring and evaluation (PM&E) for the programme (in close consultation with the PM&E focal person, Programme Manager (PM) and other team members);
- To hold delegated responsibility on budget management, procurement, administration and logistics for the programme (in close cooperation with PM and Accounting);
- To develop, implement and follow up financial, technical and institutional capacity development strategies and methods (in close collaboration with PM, team and partners);
- To build and maintain sustainable partnerships with partners and relevant stakeholders
- To ensure effective and efficient use of resources
- To take up the role of capacity development focal person for the programme
- To contribute to internal and external knowledge development by systemizing lessons learned and pro-actively sharing lessons learned between partners and VVOB team
- To guarantee the coherence with VVOB’s approaches to sustainable capacity development and technical assistance
- To keep abreast of developments in inclusive education and international development.
- South African citizen, based in Durban or willing to relocate (at own cost)
- An advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) preferably in management, education, social sciences or other relevant field.
- Background in environmental issues is a definite advantage.
- Demonstrated working experience in a similar position
- Demonstrated experience of project management or coordination preferably within
- (international) development cooperation (preferably at least 5 years)
- Preferably experience with change management, capacity development of government agencies and / or public sector staff, preferably in the education sector (including universities)
- Preferably knowledgeable about gender issues (in education)
- Good facilitation skills
- Creative mind, able to synthesise and analyse and to translate strategies/ideas into action
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, willing to work additional hours when required and travel for short periods
- Good reporting skills, ICT proficient (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), fluent written and oral command of English.
Result oriented, cooperation, continuous learning and improving, 360° empathy, strong communication skills (listening, speaking and writing), creativity, reliability, development oriented coaching, analytical thinking and conceptual thinking
VVOB expects the person to start asap and offers a good remuneration and a contract for period not exceeding the project period (planned end-date August 30, 2022).
The Project Coordinator is supervised by the Programme Manager based in Pretoria.
How to apply
Send your application by email to Wilfried Theunis (Wilfried.email@example.com) on or before 5pm on August 20, 2019. Include your
- CV (including id number, telephone number and email address of 3 references),
- A motivation letter. In your motivation letter clearly indicate how/why you fit the profile of this advertisement, i.e. address each requirement of the profile and elaborate on how you fit that requirement. Max. 2 pages.
- applications with no motivation letter attached may not be considered.
- only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
VVOB is committed to providing equal opportunities and practising affirmative action employment.
Vacancy Project Coordinator VVOB South Africa (Climate Change Education, Durban)
For more information about VVOB click here