Visual Arts Network of South Africa (VANSA)
VANSA has positioned itself as a support point and knowledge base for contemporary art practice in South Africa, developing strategic interventions that strengthen the overall ecology of the field, working with a diverse network of partners and interests locally, continentally and globally.
The Visual Arts Network of South Africa seeks to appoint a versatile and organised strategic thinker with strong business acumen to lead the organisation into a sustainable, dynamic and resilient network-based organisation.
Reports to: VANSA Board of Directors
The purpose of the position is to be responsible for developing and implementing a sustainability agenda for the organisation, managing an annual budget of R4 – R5 million, as well as managing a core team of 4-5 staff at our national office based in Johannesburg.
Remuneration: R360 000 per annum (cost to organisation), renewable and reviewed annually subject to the financial position of the organisation.
Start date: 1 October 2019
- Strategic Business Development:
- Evaluate the business model and assess it in relation to the organisation’s strategic plan, and the current and future needs of the organisation.
- Develop and implement a sustainability plan in line with the organisational strategy and in relation to current and future needs of the organisation.
- Develop and manage new and existing partnerships.
- Drive the financial strategy of the organisation, ensuring strong systems are in place for the management of financial resources.
- Organisational Development:
- Directing the core business of the organisation namely; Research, Advocacy & Lobbying, Membership & Stakeholder relations.
- Provide oversight on projects.
- Staff development as per the needs of the organisation.
- Manage and develop the governance structure of the organisation.
- Knowledge of the contemporary art field in South Africa, Africa and globally (not necessarily confined to visual arts).
- Knowledge of the cultural policy landscape in South Africa, and experience working with lobbying government.
- Strong business acumen and entrepreneurial skills.
- Experience in managing relationships with partners and funders.
- Experience in programme and project management.
- Experience in developing and applying organisational policies.
- Experience of financial management and systems.
- Experience in managing and developing people/teams, and in working with a board or similar structure.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills; strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Willingness to sometimes work irregular hours.
- Willingness to travel extensively locally and internationally.
- A drivers license.
- Relevant tertiary qualification.
- Desirable Competencies:
- Ability to communicate effectively in at least one South African language other than English or Afrikaans.
- Experience in designing and managing research projects.
- Experience working with social media and the web in marketing and communications.
Please send a CV and covering letter motivating your suitability for the position, including details for at least two contactable referees to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about VANSA, refer to https://vansa.co.za/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies