Hlanganisa Institute for Development in Southern Africa (Hlanganisa)
Hlanganisa Institute for Development in Southern Africa (Hlanganisa), formerly known as Hivos SA, is an innovative intermediary grant maker aimed at strengthening social accountability, promoting human rights in pursuit of social justice in Southern Africa. Hlanganisa is a not-for-profit company that works through empowering communities and promoting active citizenry so that they can be the agents of their own change. Hlanganisa serves as a catalyst to marginalised communities and sub populations, giving them the necessary tools to advocate for change.
Hlangansia seeks the services of an independent external audit service provider for a three-year period from 2018 -2020 (financial year end is 31 December). Financial statements are prepared in accordance with the International Financial Reporting Standards IFRS). The key objectives of this appointment are:
- Carry out the financial audit as per International Auditing Standards and express an independent audit opinion to the board of directors in line with the provisions of the Companies Act of South Africa.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of financial, administrative, management and governance systems, controls and structures of the Organisation.
- To add value to the organisation’s financial, operating and governance processes.
Scope of work
The external auditors will be required to perform the necessary audit work to enable them to express an audit opinion on the financial statements of HIDSA for each year ending 31 December on the Financial Statements of the Organisation.
Applicants are expected to meet the following criteria:
- Incorporated in line with the laws and regulations of South Africa
- Registered and in good standing with the Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors (IRBA code)
- Experience in relation to the scope of audits for non-Profit organization.
- Have availability (size of firm, size of team, stability and history) to complete the audit on a timely basis.
Interested parties should submit a proposal with the following information:
- A company profile with proposed audit team members and their qualifications/experience
- Proposed fee for the engagement indicating anticipated fees for the second and third years
- Detailed audit plan/methodology including your approach to risk and fraud detection.
- Estimated number of hours to complete the audit by classification of your employees, i.e. partners, senior, junior.
- Detail of (any other) expenses expected to be incurred, i.e. mileage, per diem, telephone, etc.
- Time requirements estimate based on a General Ledger of 8000 transactions and funding from 5 donors.
- Describe the firm’s quality control system and demonstrate that the firm has established adequate quality control policies and procedures that comply with the provisions in the International Standards on Auditing (ISA).
- Standard engagement letter
- Tax clearance certificate from SARS
In addition to above, the audit team will be required to:
- Exercise independence and objectivity. To this end they must provide details of any possible conflict of interest as well as other information where independency and objectivity may be compromised or at risk.
- Provide details of indemnity insurance
Interested firms are to submit their proposals by email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with all relevant documents and information by 4pm on 2 August 2019. Request for clarification must be sent per email to Thendricks@hlanganisa.or.za with copy to email@example.com
Alteration or withdrawal of tenders
Tenderers may alter or withdraw their tenders by written notification prior to the deadline for submission of tenders. No tender may be altered after this deadline.
The organisation reserves the right to:
- Not appoint any service provider.
- Decline to consider any proposal that is adjudged not to conform to any aspect of the bidding process.
- Request further information from any service provider after the closing date for clarity.
Any proposal received after the deadline will be rejected.