African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP)
The African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP) is an independent non-profit organization founded in 2012 by a partnership of African development organizations. It was built on the work of the Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Program (CAADP), a framework for achieving ambitious agriculture development goals set in place by African nations and leaders.
The African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP) seeks to appoint a Communications Officer to be based in Johannesburg for twelve Months, renewable.
Purpose of the position is to plan, research, and produce accurate, analytical and thematic content for corporate and programmatic publications, social/digital media, stakeholder briefs and internal communication.
- Content Development
- Develop and implement improved and consistent communication approaches in AFAP including the communication of AFAPs social and economic impact and achievements.
- Update the AFAP Communications Strategy, Policy and Plan.
- Develop consistent communications tools, strategies and materials for use across the organization.
- Utilise and repackage monitoring, evaluation and learning evidence information for communications purposes.
- Assist in the development of appropriate measures to better track the communication of performance, results and learning for AFAP.
- Conceptualise and write creative copy content for internal and external publications: speeches, presentations, media messaging, newsletters, website content, editorial-style articles, briefing notes, video and radio scripts.
- Develop and issue creative content that engages target audiences and demonstrates an understanding of newsworthy copy that journalists will publish for local and international media.
- Manage AFAPs day-to-day interactions with key communication partners to ensure adherence to internal and external partner communication and branding guidelines.
- Review and edit content to ensure the voice is consistent with AFAP brand and proper usage of English (USA) grammar, spelling and structure.
- Work out a message simplification strategy to communicate with a broader stakeholder constituency.
- Facilitate internal intelligence sharing of information of programs.
- Manage AFAP’s style guide.
- Day-to-day management of the AFAP website, including updates, ongoing monitoring and obtaining input from other AFAP staff as necessary.
- Research, plan and implement the medium-to-long term development of the AFAP website to ensure it continues to achieve its objectives.
- Develop and manage social media platforms.
- Develop and leverage an Africa-wide media contacts list.
- Proactively seek media opportunities that support organization- and program- objectives with key media partners, including African outlets - local and national newspapers, trade magazines, radio and television, PR agencies and contractors.
- Co-ordinate the development, production and distribution of PR and media materials (TV and Radio), web-based advertisements and other broadcast media materials.
- Develop and distribute releases to media outlets including TV, radio and print, to high standards consistent with AFAP messaging and editorial guidelines.
- Make use of search engine optimisation, including keyword strategy, key term discovery and optimised content development and prioritisation on the Web.
- Sub-edit and proof read articles.
- Graphic Design
- Design all organizational presentations: PowerPoint and Word designs, email footers and website banners; to promote core organizational activities, as well as to provide communications support to all Business Units.
- Direct all outsourced artwork and designs in order to maintain corporate image and standards.
- Develop marketing artwork to advertise the organization’s actives and events.
- Contribute to the planning of, and arrangements for, AFAP events, in particular regarding the design and production of materials.
- Manage press briefings and press attendance at conferences and workshops.
- Design and disseminate invitations, reports and any other material to the AFAP database, specifically or more broadly.
- Diploma or Degree in journalism, media studies, copywriting, communications, marketing, advertising or relevant qualification
- Strong research, analysis, editing and interviewing skills
- Portfolio that reflects creative copywriting proficiencies
- Experience within African agriculture a distinct advantage
- Computer literate - proficiency in Microsoft Office products: Word, Outlook, Power Point and Excel; Website maintenance (content management)
- The ideal candidate will be a strong copy editor and have excellent stakeholder service skills.
- Excellent analytical writing skills
- Versatility – ability to work across the board, transtioning between functions as necessary
- Team orientation – can work in an integrated team environment
- Consultative capabilities - able to work with all levels of people
- Resilience – maintains composure and deals effectively with stress
- Flexible and adaptable – in light of changing situations
- Methodical and systematic, with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Action-oriented, confident and takes initiative
- Operates with integrity
- Delivery and deadline orientated
- A passion for exceptional service
- Willingness to work long hours from time to time
- Own car and hold driver’s license is essential
To apply, qualifying applicants, please send your CV and a one-page cover letter to support your application, along with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by 19 July 2019.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about The African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP), refer to https://www.afap-partnership.org/about-us-2/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies