CHOC CHILDHOOD CANCER FOUNDATION SA
CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation South Africa is a group of people on a mission to make a difference to children with cancer and their families, one paddock at a time. Armed with the slogan “Love Living Life”, The Organisation uses our lifestyle goals to raise money for CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation SA.
CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation South Africa seeks to appoint a Child and Family Support Counsellor to serve Netcare Unitas and Steve Biko Academic Hospital, to be based in Pretoria.
Salary in the range of R192 000 to R216 000 per annum, CHOC makes contributions towards a pension fund as well as offers a medical aid subsidy.
Purpose of the position is to provide counselling and psychosocial support services to children diagnosed with cancer or life threatening blood disorders and their families.
- Facilitate the counselling of and support to parents at the time of breaking bad news
- Provide individual and /or group counselling, regarding the diagnosis and treatment, to the patient and family (including siblings) from diagnosis onward
- Prepare the patient and/or parent/family for medical and treatment procedures
- Provide palliative and end-of-life care and support for the patient and family
- Provide counselling and/or crisis intervention at the time of a patient’s death
- Provide bereavement support for families.
- Additional Service Delivery:
- Network and consult with community organisations to enhance service delivery to the children and their families.
- Assess, prepare and facilitate children who are well enough for the attendance of camps.
- Undertake psychosocial assessments of families and plan intervention accordingly, including other disciplines and resources as appropriate
- Facilitate statutory investigations as and when required under the Children’s Act no 38 of 2005
- General and Administration:
- Complete and submit the monthly STAT report within the first week of the month
- Keep accurate records/reports of the psychosocial support services and interventions provided
- Personal and Professional Growth:
- Attend weekly telephonic supervision with the PSSM
- Attend 2 x a year the psychosocial support staff team meetings
- Ward and Team Meetings:
- Attend hand-over and ward team meetings
- Educational Interventions:
- Liaise with the hospital- and the patient’s home school about the implications of the treatment and eventual reintegration
- Ward Volunteers:
- Assist the Programme Coordinator with the recruitment, selection and supervision of ward volunteers
- Fundraising and Awareness:
- Assist the region with awareness and fundraising events as and when required
- Support Programme:
- Assist with the planning and organising of the annual Remembrance Service
- Assist with the planning and organising of the annual ward/year-end party
- A recognised BA Social Work Degree with majors in Social Work (Honours) and Psychology (Third year)
- Up to date proof of registration with the S.A. Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP)
- Minimum three years’ experience as a qualified social worker in the child/youth and/or health sector with experience in working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office) and good administrative skills
- Maturity, high stress tolerance, comfortable working in the field of loss, death and dying, ability to work independently yet as part of a team
- Experience of working with children and their families compromised by life-threatening illnesses or other life traumas
- Fluency in English, Zulu, Sotho, Tswana and a good understanding of the other African languages spoken in the Northern Region area. An understanding of Afrikaans will be to your advantage
- Transport: This position requires the successful candidate to have a valid unendorsed South African driver’s licence and the person needs to be able to commute between the two hospitals (Netcare Unitas situated in Centurion and Steve Biko Academic Hospital situated in Gezina, Pretoria)
To apply, submit your CV with the names and contact details of at least two recent referees as well as the following documentation to reach firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line please indicate CFSC Netcare Unitas and Steve Biko Academic Hospital ):
- Certified copy of your identity document
- Certified copy of your driver’s licence
- Certified copy of your degree certificate
- Certified copy of your academic record
- Certified copy of your SACSSP registration certificate and your 2019-20 registration card
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation South Africa, refer to choc.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies