Southern Africa Resource Watch (SARW)
SARWatch works for participatory, transparent and accountable utilisation of extractive resources in a manner that optimises transformative social and economic benefits and inter-generational equity, with sensitivity to environmental and human rights impacts.
SARWatch seeks to appoint a Communications Officer to be based in Johannesburg.
The Communications Officer will work closely with the Director to implement SARW’s communications strategy. Maintain a positive image of the organisation and ensure that it works in line with the organisation’s vision, goals and objectives. Contribute towards enhancing the SARW brand and protect the institution's reputation and credibility. Provide a prompt, efficient and quality service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the internal communications strategy to provide effective communication of relevant corporate information to staff
- Take lead responsibility for the planning and implementation of a range of information sessions to promote programmes and policies
- Coordinate internal communications in relation to SARW’s programme and events
- Ensure SARW staff both in Johannesburg and the DRC are constantly updated with relevant information and events
- Under the guidance of the Executive Director, coordinate SARW's media relations work
- Enhance the reach and impact of SARW's work through proactive engagement with the media
- Working closely with Executive Director, help build and maintain relationships with relevant media houses and journalists, drafting and issuing press releases; organising press conferences and briefings
- Ensure the procedures for media events and press releases are circulated and followed
- Create and maintain a data base of media at the national, regional and international levels
Website and social media
- Under the guidance of the Executive Director, manage the website and social media activities.
- Ensure that the website is regularly updated with a wide range of compelling content and that the website becomes the pre-eminent website on the SARW programme
- Ensure that SARW maximises its social media presence and impact, through its Twitter, Facebook and other identified accounts
- Under the guidance of the Executive Director and in consultation with Programme Managers, coordinate the commissioning, editing, translating if necessary, design and printing of SARW publications, including working with outside companies and consultants. Also, coordinate the circulation and launch of publications
- In consultation with the Executive Director and Programme Managers, provide advocacy support for SARW campaigns, editing briefing papers, finalising presentations, and participating in advocacy events
- Coordinate as required, media, social media and advocacy training for SARW staff to ensure that they are able to provide material for the website, work well with the media and exploit social media to advance SARW ideals
Monitor Communications Budget
- Manage the unit's budget and use the funds to support creative and innovative projects that are clearly linked to the overall strategy of SARW and to the specific goals and objectives of the Communications unit
- A degree in Communications or equivalent qualification. Or a degree in a relevant subject with media and communications experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential and the ability to speak French and/or Portuguese is advantageous
- Three years of experience at this level
- Three to five overall years of experience required
- Efficiency: Takes a well ordered and methodical approach to tasks to achieve planned outcomes
- Results focus: Maintains a strong sense of focus on results, driving tasks and projects to completion
- Creativity: Coming up with new ideas and original solutions to move things forward
- Collaboration: Takes steps to build effective relationships and contacts.
- Planning and Organisation: Setting clear priorities, objectives and work allocations, tracking progress against plans and taking appropriate action to ensure targets are met
- Work hard, consolidate and build upon past efforts
- Take individual and collective leadership responsibility
- Acquire relevant skills and be empowered
- Strive for excellence, professionalism and high-performance levels
- Acknowledge diversity
- Recognise that our region is dynamic and ever-changing
- Use our privileged financial position effectively
To apply, submit a cover letter and your CV to email@example.com clearly stating the name of the position as your subject.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on SARWatch visit www.sarwatch.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies