Hivos Southern Africa
Hivos Southern Africa Hub, aims towards an open and green society, inspired by humanist values such as freedom, dignity, responsibility and curiosity. Our objective is that every person can live in freedom and dignity on a planet that is sustainable. We pride ourselves as upholding the principles of Social innovation of generating new ideas and approaches that resolve existing social, cultural, economic and environmental challenges for the benefit of people and planet.
Hivos in partnership with SIDA and Ford Foundation manages the Regional Fund on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). The Regional SRHR Fund was established in recognition of the critical need for a strategic regional response to collectively address the myriad of SRHR issues in Southern Africa with particular attention to young people and adolescents as well as to provide an opportunity for donors to coordinate their support to SRHR in the region. The fund is currently focusing on strengthening th capacity of youth led and youth focused organisations to effectively advocate for their sexual and reproductive health needs. To do so, it is supporting civil society responses to a diversity of ASRHR issues that are relevant at both the national and regional levels using grant-making as the main mechanism of support. The Fund also convenes meetings to foster improved partnerships and collective effort among regional and national organizations in response to the need for improved coordination and collaboration. The Fund further, seeks to support efforts to advocate and take actions that can lead to improvements in the availability and accessibility of SRHR services for adolescent and youth with a focus on the most vulnerable people.
To support our office generate new initiatives and mobilise resources we are looking for a:
Aim of the Job
With support from the Programme Manager the Programme Officer (Capacity Building) will undertake activities primarily focused on strengthening the organisational and technical capacity of SRHR grant partners in fields such as governance, administration, financial management, strategic advocacy, constituency building and monitoring and evaluation. S/he will design and provide a comprehensive package of capacity development activities that support the technical and institutional development of partners on this project. Other activities include the provision of training and mentorship to emergent CSO leaders, and other forms of training and technical assistance including providing technical support to youth-led research as well as support to the development of social media campaigns. The position will cover both east and southern Africa with partners in Kenya, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Deliver all capacity development-related activities for partner CSOs and their networks in diverse areas of organizational development ;
- The delivery of individualized technical assistance and capacity building to grant partners in identified areas of need;
- Work closely with selected local partners to ensure adequate capacity is built in various areas of the programme;
- Develop materials and processes for specific areas/topics identified as needed for capacity development of partners, including training, mentoring and coaching of partners, peer learning and other methodologies;
- Lead in program monitoring, evaluating, learning and periodic reporting related to capacity building;
- Coordinate with appropriate stakeholders in all aspects of activities planning, monitoring, and implementation;
- Help to document project-based learnings and best practices;
- Undertake other activities as may be identified by the Senior Programme Manager in consultation with the programme manager; and
- Frequent international travel to project countries to provide capacity building and technical assistance to grantees and other relevant stakeholders.
- A Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, with an advanced degree preferred;
- At least five years' experience in project management and supervision;
- Demonstrated experience in organizational capacity building for CSOs, including designing and implementing trainings for CSOs, delivering organizational development technical assistance, and/or mentoring CSOs;
- Prior experience in sub granting and grants manangement will be an added advantage.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Exceptional capacity building skills with an ability to use a diversity of methodologies including coaching, mentorship and peer learning
- Experience in facilitating training, mentoring and coaching across the region
- Demonstrable experience in gather best practices and lessons learned and sharing information with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience in facilitating training in research methodologies
- Experience working with a diversity of stakeholders across multiple countries
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Commitment to team-working and a willingness to join in with colleagues to manage the pressures and priorities of the day
- Oral and written fluency in English is critical
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and in a multi- cultural environment
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in South Africa. Hivos welcomes International & Regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid workpermit for South Africa. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.
For more information on Hivos visit www.hivos.org
If you meet the above mentioned qualifications (please look carefully), send a letter explaining your motivation and your CV to:
Hivos e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 28 July 2019
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.