ActionAid South Africa
Action Aid (AA) is a global movement of people working together to further human rights for all and end poverty. AASA has a footprint in both urban and rural locations in six provinces across the country. Historically AASA’s focus has been on rural development with seven existing rural local rights programmes (LRPs) in which we have been working for many years, while a new one is due to begin operation in early 2017. Rural poverty remains a key focus of our work, with a commitment to deepen the impact of our programmes and show real change in the lives of communities.
AASA seeks to appoint a Mining Extractives Programme Manager to be based in Johannesburg.
An attractive remuneration package is offered, in relation to experience.
Purpose of the position is to implement specific programmatic work at a local, provincial and national level, to support the work of the Natural Resources and Extractives Programme Mining Extractives programme and implement policy analysis, research, advocacy and campaigns work, with specific focus on developing capacity of women within the mining extractives sector.
- Develop national project plan, activity schedule and ensure project is delivered according to project plan
- Represent and promote the HRF program nationally
- Manage and resolve obstacles to delivery through linking the project and partners to appropriate support outside of the project (themes; impact assessment etc.)
- Work with relevant theme heads and programme managers to ensure high priority is given to delivering on the project
- Ensure the project is integrated into ongoing work nationally and that all project management systems are set up to deliver to a high quality
- Ensure partners are clear about their roles and responsibilities and develop and agree MOUs with partners
- Ensure that the project is properly monitored and evaluated, bringing in support appropriately from other national teams, and internationally through the project manager if necessary
- Produce timely reports (narrative & financial) according to donor requirements and incorporate any changes as and when necessary
- Provide financial management oversight of the project including working with the Finance unit to set up project finance systems
- Bring in support appropriately from the finance unit to ensure systems are set up for high quality financial reporting and are within existing systems
- Coordinate and assist the development of a Women’s group within the Mining sector.
- Conduct research and policy analysis on topics identified by the unit Support the development of mining extractives advocacy and campaigns strategy for ActionAid South Africa that links our local and national work on natural resources.
- Be responsible for plans, budget and timely reports, along with staff and periodic updates
- Participate in staff capacity building organized by HROD
- Identify human resource requirements for the project
- Undergraduate degree in social sciences / humanities / development
- A qualification in gender or human rights studies is desirable
- Strong English writing and communication skills
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Gender awareness and / or knowledge of women’s rights issues will be an asset
- Knowledge of AAI, the HRBA approach and the work of AAISA is desirable
- The successful candidate will have a commitment to and passion for human rights skills
- Strong research
- Fluency in English is required, additional languages will be an advantage
- Proactive communicator, able to build relationships and provide support across a range of work areas
- A political vision in line with that of AAISA is essential
- Knowledge of the South African Civil Society context in depth understanding and experience of child sponsorship
- A clean and valid driver’s license is essential.
- The post holder will also be required to travel regularly, sometimes to rural areas and often at very short notice.
To apply, please send your CV and a one-page motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You are requested to highlight in the cover letter how you specifically meet the criteria for this role. Please indicate in the subject line of your email the position you are applying for.