The Children's Radio Foundation
International Programmes Manager (requires proficiency in French)
The Children’s Radio Foundation
We train high school-age youth to become reporters who broadcast their stories and experiences on community radio stations in six countries across Africa. Our youth reporters take on issues that affect young people in their community: access to education and health services, gender and power, LGBTI issues and human rights, employment and opportunity, climate change and the environment. Speaking in local languages and in a youth-friendly style, they interview community members, host debates, and bring out local perspectives in their weekly youthtargeted radio programmes. Our work uses youth involvement in radio to create opportunities for dialogue, skill building, and advancing human rights, by training and mentoring a new generation of broadcasters and thought leaders across Africa.
These short films give you a sense of what we do and what is important to us:
- Youth radio broadcasters build safer communities across South Africa
- Bringing out the voices of LGBTI youth in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Beatrice Phiri: Zambian young reporter and climate change activist
- Broadcasting pathways to youth employment in Tanzania
We are a small and committed team that believes in creating real opportunities for young people to reflect, grow, and advance themselves and their communities. A person who tackles problems with creative solutions, and who loves the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process will thrive here. We work in a lively, innovative, fast-paced environment and are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, down-to-earth and kind people to join our team.
As our organization expands, we need a passionate, dynamic, and self-motivated professional who can assist us with the implementation of our projects across three African countries. The International Programmes Manager will work with the support of the Programmes Director to coordinate partnership and activities in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Zambia and Ivory Coast.
Beyond the coordination of partnerships and project activities, the day-to-day work will also include data collection for monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL), report writing, assisting in developing curriculum materials and providing training to our country teams. More concretely, the International Programmes Manager will perform the following duties:
Coordination of partnerships and project activities
- Liaise on a daily basis with CRF’s in-country coordinators and local implementing partners to ensure the smooth running of projects. This includes the development of a monthly workplan and deliverables, and the implementation of MEL tools in line with project objectives and expected impact areas.
- Liaise with in-country coordinators and local implementing partners through weekly calls to ensure that country project deliverables are submitted within deadlines.
- Provide input and advise when required to ensure project milestones are achieved.
- Serve as a relay between CRF’s Head office and local in-country projects.
- Update the Programmes Director on all project timelines and milestones on a regular basis.
- Manage all risk in delivery and escalate as required.
MEL data collection and reporting
- Identify MEL tools and curriculum development needs for country projects.
- Work with the MEL Senior Manager to develop tools and curriculum materials for impact measurement and project reporting.
- Ensure timely delivery of monthly MEL deliverables by country coordinators.
- Liaise with country teams to collect relevant financial and narrative reports.
- Work with the Programmes Director to compile funders reports.
Programme dashboard management
- Develop and manage country workplans in consultation with in-country coordinators and the Programmes Director.
- Update the country workplans on a monthly basis, following the weekly calls with country teams.
- Identify training needs for country projects
- Work with the MEL Senior Manager to develop training schedules
- Serve as Lead Trainer during in-country trainings
The ideal candidate for the position
A keen interest in youth issues, human rights and social justice is a must, along with excellent writing in both French and English. You are self-started and can work independently with very little supervision. You see yourself pursuing a career in the NGO sector.
What you bring
- Work experience of a minimum of 3 years in managing projects, including project cycles, quality assurance, quality programmatic and financial reporting, budget development and administration
- Ability to work independently and remotely from the office, as well as in a team
- Organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize time and work effectively
- Ability to multitask and work on multiple projects at once and meet deadlines
- Understanding of, experience with and commitment to work on youth rights and participation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work across diverse cultural backgrounds
- Youth or/and media training experience
- Flexibility and ability to adjust to different working contexts
- Reflective and open to learning
- Recognized university degree in the field of development, media, international relations, project management, social development, youth development or a related field
- Full fluency in spoken and written French and English required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications (Excel, Word)
Additional advantageous skills
- Ability to analyse data and package it succinctly
- Experience working in the NGO environment and with international donors advantageous
- Post graduate qualification
- Proficiency with audio editing software is advantageous
- Willingness to travel up to 20% of the time
This is a full-time position and will be based in Cape Town. The Children’s Radio Foundation pays market-related salaries. The application is open to South African nationals and foreign nationals with Permanent Residence or a valid existing work permit.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com