Malamulele Onward is a non-governmental organisation providing specialised therapy (physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy), equipment, assistive devices and caregiver training to poorly-resourced rural areas of South Africa where children severely disabled by cerebral palsy have little or no access to rehabilitation therapy and equipment.
Malamulele Onward seeks to appoint an Executive Director to be based in Johannesburg.
This is a full-time position.
Start date: August 2019
The Executive Director is an ex-officio member of the Board, and delegated by the Board to oversee the day-to-day running of the organisation.
- Organise quarterly Board meetings and agenda
- Prepare and present quarterly progress and finance reports
- Regularly liaise with Board members on appropriate issues
- Ensure staff are appropriately informed of relevant Board decisions
- Ensure that records of Board meetings are kept
- Ensure the long-term financial viability of the organisation which includes developing contacts and building and maintaining relationships with current and potential funders
- Maintain healthy relationships with existing donors and ensuring that contractual obligations are met
- Coordinate fundraising efforts and ensuring the new funding proposals align with the organisation’s strategic goals
- Have a sound knowledge of the national and international donor environment and needs to be able to attract donor support and diversify income streams
- Ensure that funds are wisely spent and that adequate controls exist to prevent fraud and wasteful expenditure
Human Resource Management:
- Manage the staff
- Ensure productivity and that they have the capacity to meet agreed deliverables
- Ensure that there is a performance appraisal process in place and that all staff have employment contracts with clear roles and responsibilities
Organisational planning and learning:
- Ensure that long-and medium-term organisational strategic plans are developed and implemented
- Develop strategic plans in collaboration with staff, Board members and relevant stakeholders
- Ensure that long-and medium-term plans are integrated into the annual activity plans and are budgeted for
- Ensure that appropriate internal processes exist for monitoring progress against strategic plans, organisational learning and strategic feedback
Organisational profile and public relations:
- Maintain the integrity and credibility of Malamulele Onward’s public profile
- Ensure that the organisation has a communications strategy and for producing organisational reports suitable for supporters, funder, partners, etc
- Post-graduate degree in business administration, social science or health or equivalent
- Minimum of five years’ senior management in the NPO sector
- Proven track record of good all-around leadership
- A passion for children with special needs
- A thorough understanding of the context of childhood and/or disability in South Africa
- Experience in and/or knowledge of community development, specifically relating to women living in resource-constrained settings
- Proven financial management skills
- Organisation and project management (planning, monitoring, budgets, reporting, etc)
- Sound people management and the ability to develop people
- Ability to think strategically and to engage colleagues and partners in strategic planning processes
- Ability to identify opportunities for collaboration
- Ability to remain focused whilst taking a flexible approach
- Ability to multi-task
- Writing skills and a good command of English (with additional local languages a distinct advantage)
- Ability to inspire and motivate colleagues towards achieving agreed upon goals
- Must be a South African citizen (or hold a valid work permit)
- Have a valid driver’s licence
- Ability to travel and work after-hours and on weekends from time to time
To apply, submit your application to Dr. Gillian Saloojee Gillian@cpchildren.org with the following information:
- A motivation letter addressed to Dr. Wiedaad Slemming, Chair, Malamulele Onward Board
- A short CV (maximum of five pages)
- An indication of your expected salary
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide at least three contactable referees.
Shortlisted candidates will be requested to either provide some form of work sampling or to complete a simulation activity relevant to the post. This is to ensure a good fit for both parties.
Interview date for shortlisted candidates is Friday 5 July.
For more about Malamulele Onward, refer to www.malamuleleonward.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies