Power Africa Off-grid Project (PAOP)
RFI Title: Distributed Electricity Services and Modern Cooking Fuel Delivery
RFI No: PAOP- RFI-2019-001
Date of Issuance: June 10, 2019
RFI Responses Closing Date: July 7, 2019 at 17h00 South Africa time
Responses to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Request for Information (RFI) is issued solely for information and planning purposes. This is not a Request for Proposals/Applications (RFP/A) or an Annual Program Statement (APS) and is not to be construed as a commitment by the Power Africa Off-grid Project or USAID to issue any solicitation or Notice of Funding Opportunity, or ultimately award a contract or assistance agreement on the basis of this RFI, or to pay for any information voluntarily submitted as a result of this request. Organizations responding to this request are solely responsible for bearing all expenses associated with the preparation and submission of responses to this RFI. Please note that responding to this RFI will not provide any advantage to any organization or individual in any subsequent competition. Responses may be used by PAOP without restriction or limitation, therefore proprietary information should not be sent.
The Power Africa Off-grid Project (PAOP) is a four-year contract between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and RTI International. PAOP intends to accelerate off-grid electrification across sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) to support Power Africa’s Beyond the Grid initiative which contributes to the goal of facilitating 60 million new connections by 2030. Power Africa defines access as the direct or actual number of new households and businesses connected to electricity via an on-grid or off-grid solution. PAOP focuses on accelerating off-grid energy access through solar household systems (“SHS”) and micro-grids, with the goal of facilitating 6 million new electricity connections by 2022.
Power Africa seeks to support accelerated provision of full energy access to off grid communities in SSA by promoting coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cooking solutions through a market-based approach. The purpose of this RFI is to collect written information about the capabilities of organizations interested in piloting and/or expanding business models to deliver distributed solar electricity services alongside LPG cooking solutions. We are looking to collect information from organizations that already have deployed solutions in either off-grid electricity or LPG (or both). The organization must have activities in one of these two sectors. The information will be used to help make a planning decision and the requested information will not be released publicly.
Organizations are requested to submit a response of no more than three pages in length, excluding the cover page. Responses are requested to include the following:
- A cover page with the following information:
- Organization name and address
- Organization point of contact name, telephone number, and email address
- Organization size (per your preferred definition)
- An explanation of your organization’s prior experiences successfully implementing electricity and/or LPG cooking programs relevant and related to Power Africa’s electricity and cooking interest.
- A statement of perspectives, capabilities, and ideas containing responses to the following:
- an explanation of the region or regions within sub-Saharan Africa where your organization is best suited to work to achieve coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions,
- a description of the potential (or current) business model your organization would use for the coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions (if applicable, include a discussion of any current or potential partner entities your organization would work with),
- a discussion of your organization’s expected (or current) constraints in scaling up operations as it pertains to effective implementation of coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions,
- an explanation of the areas your organization is best suited to develop in support of coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions,
- a discussion of the limits of the scope of activities your organization is capable of taking on as it pertains to your envisioned approach to supporting coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions,
- a summary of how your organization would organize staff (in terms of both job functions and locations) to achieve coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions,
- an explanation of how your organization would structure your relationship with other Power Africa stakeholders (host country governments, donors, regional institutions, and private sector) to maximize your ability to effectively achieve coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions,
- are there specific type/s of assistance that could be employed to drive coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cooking solutions,
- a description of LPG safety and risk mitigation measures or protocols your organization has in place (if none, please state that),
- a description of the safety and risk mitigation steps your organization will put in place if your organization is planning to add LPG products/services to existing solar home system services, and;
- any other ideas or suggestions for how PAOP should design the program to enhance your organization’s ability to effectively achieve coordinated delivery of distributed electricity services and modern cooking solutions through private sector solutions.
Interested parties are requested to respond to this RFI in Microsoft Word compatible formats and submitted via email to email@example.com by not later than July 7th, 2019 at 17:00hrs South Africa local time. Please include the title PAOP-RFI-2019-001 in the subject line of your e-mail. Responses should be sent as an email attachment in English. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted or acknowledged, and no feedback or evaluations will be provided to organizations regarding their submissions. Please do not submit applications, proposals, resumes, promotional materials, and statements of qualifications.
After PAOP reviews and considers any responses, a decision will be made regarding whether and how to proceed with a new activity.