Health-e News/Healthy Living Aliance
Health-e News Service is South Africa’s award-winning dedicated health news service producing news and in-depth analysis for the country’s print and television media. In 2012, Health-e News opened a nationwide citizen journalism arm called “OurHealth.” which provides print features for newspapers, magazines, and websites, and TV documentaries broadcasted on SABC, eTV and M-Net.
Health-e News and Healthy Living Aliance (HEALA) seek to appoint a Digital Campaigns and Content Officer, to be based in Johannesburg.
This position will report to Health-e’s Digital and Online Editor and HEALA’s Communications Coordinator and regular travel may be required.
The purpose of the position is to pioneer the organisations’ digital platforms and find innovative and creative ways to disseminate content, as well as build and increase our online communities’ engagement.
- Design digital campaign messaging and promote events linked to these campaigns.
- Work with HEALA and Health-e staff to develop engagement and campaign strategies, through identifying key audiences and communities that will result in impact.
- Produce daily social media content for different platforms to promote HEALA and Health-e News content that will drive web traffic and promote engagement.
- Compile regular reports on tracking social media and online metrics for donor reports and internally for section
- Write press releases and quick news stories as and when needed
- Assist in developing and implementing social media strategies
- Manage deadlines and deliverables for engagement initiatives and collaboration
- An undergraduate degree in journalism, media studies, communications and/or related fields, or an equivalent (three to five years) work experience in a newsroom or community-based organisation
- Understanding of South Africa’s media landscape and social justice issues
- Demonstrated community engagement experiences across popular social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Experience with additional platforms (TweetDeck, MailChimp, and LinkedIn) is an advantage
- Hands-on experience with community mobilisation
- Writing skills in English and one other official South African language
- Understanding of public health and be comfortable reading and interpreting peer-reviewed research
- Analysing news, research papers and using the information to execute digital campaigns and/or write quick news stories
- An ability to proactively keep abreast of advocacy campaign plans and updates
- Ability to think objectively, proactively and on your feet
- Have a mix of creative and analytical skills
- Ability to navigate in a dual working environment
- Time management skills
- Ability to work in a team as well as with creative agencies, donors and advocacy partners
- Ability to juggle a variety of ongoing projects and look for ways to tie them together
- Must have a passion for public health and social justice and extensive social media management experience
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies