Democracy Works Foundation
Democracy Works Foundation provides tools to build resilient democracies in Southern Africa. DWF promotes civic engagement to contribute to the realisation of the core governing principles enshrined in the preamble of the South African Constitution.
Democracy Works seeks to employ a Programmes Manager, to be based in Johannesburg.
Reports to: SAPP&D Chief of Party & Executive Director
Start date: 01 August 2019, or as soon as possible
Contract type: Fixed term contract (project ends Sept 2021)
The purpose of the Programme Manager is to support the Chief of Party in providing strategic guidance to Country Teams. Ensure compliance with donor and organisational rules and requirements as well as timely implementation of the SAPP&D.
- Support all project activities in accordance with donor contracts
- Support Country Directors and Country office staff design and carry out the needed policy monitor, research and analysis in their areas of work
- Develop and implement change management plans
- Guide and coordinate the development of organisational annual plans and budgets
- Complete required reports in a timely and organised manner
- Support the Chief of Party in maintaining good relations with USAID
- Guide programme operational planning, implementation and monitoring processes
- Provide technical guidance in programme planning and implementation
- Collaborate with field offices to identity risks and opportunities
- Regularly identify opportunities for programme and organisational growth
- Assist with business development to ensure the sustainability of SAPP&D
- Travels to field offices to oversee and monitor project activities
- Fulfil other duties and responsibilities as may be reasonably assigned by the Chief of Party and/or Executive Director for the successful achievement of the goals of the organisation
- Post graduate degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Minimum of 6 years of directly related work experience in the NGO sector
- Minimum of four years proven experience on USAID funded projects
- Demonstrable experience in democracy and human rights fields
- Strong problem solving and leadership skills
- Strong people and financial management skills
- Competent in Microsoft Office Suite, in particular (Excel and Word)
- Communications skills, both oral and written (excellent report and proposal writing), including public speaking
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel regularly and at short notice
- Read, write and speak Portuguese would be desirable
- Ability to interact with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation and advocacy
- Ability to work in a politically non-partisan manner
- Familiarity with political and civil society landscape in Southern Africa
- Must leader with proven experience in coordinating and managing multi-country donor funded programmes in politically sensitive environments
- Have traceable hands on experiences in managing USAID supported programmes will have an added advantage
- Have demonstrable experience working with and managing multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary staff and have the ability to produce results in a timely manner
- Ability to develop efficient strategies and tactics and assist with sustainability of the of the programme
To apply, submit your motivation letter, CV and three contactable referees to email@example.com specify the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Democracy Works seeks to ensure that all qualified people have an equal opportunity to obtain a position.
Only those with the legal right to work in South Africa may apply.
DWF will review applications throughout the advertising period and will only consider applications submitted before the stipulated close date.
If you have not heard from us two (2) weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Communication will only be with candidates who have been shortlisted for interviews.
For more about Democracy Works Foundation, refer to www.democracyworks.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies