Save the Children
Job Title: Health & Nutrition Thematic Head
Occupational Level: Senior Manager
Nature of Contract: 3 Years Fixed term contract
Reports to: Programmes Director
Reporting to this post: None
Location/Base: Pretoria Office
Travel Requirements: Regular national and international travel
Budget Responsibilities: R2,0 million for the project
Asset Responsibilities: Own assets and those used by others
CHILD SAFEGUARDING STATEMENT
Save the Children South Africa has a zero tolerance towards the abuse and exploitation of children by any of our representatives, and we are equally committed to doing everything within our power to avoid unintended harm or accidents to children as a result of any of our activities.
Child Protection Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Health & Nutrition (H&N) Thematic Head serves as the strategic technical expert on H & N at SCSA nationally & regionally; He/She provides technical and management expertise to SCSA programmes teams, key and strategic partners. Quality improvement of projects is key to SCSA this then means this Manager must be skilled on quality improvement of development interventions and be able to implement accordingly.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY/ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To provide strategic direction & oversight on H & N interventions: Facilitate and ensure completion of:
- Conduct H&N strategy development & program design & annual plan;
- Monitoring of strategy implementation:
- Contributes to the development Projects Results frameworks;
- Contributes to the development of the projects theory of Change (ToC);
- Review, input and finalize H &N Project Baseline, Mid-line & End line assessments conducted;
- Provides technical expertise to review project performance against the result framework & ToC;
- Budget management:
- Contributes to the costing of H&N strategy;
- Provides oversight on H&N budget management in line with the strategy;
- Project quality improvement:
- Develops H&N quality benchmarks & other indicators of improvement including related tools, pilots & finalizes;
- Provides technical support to ensure H&N interventions are of good quality (& QBs are implemented);
- Develops and facilitates implementation of innovative interventions i.e development & application of new Common Approaches; integration model/framework; quality improvement model/framework;
- H & N Project reporting:
- Collate and compile H &N theme internal and external reports (monthly, quarterly and annually); facilitates improvement of the quality of all H&N reports;
- Lead the development of H&N reporting templates including data tools and conduct the review of these tools.
- Programme knowledge management:
- Develops and compiles H&N project repository of documents, training materials, Advocacy materials & reports;
- Facilitates dissemination of H&N content through good practice stories, case studies, abstracts & papers written (nationally & Internationally);
- Business Development:
- Development of H&N concept notes;
- Development of H&N funding proposals;
- Stakeholder Management and development:
- Establishes new and essential sustainable stakeholder relationships;
- Strengthens existing sustainable stakeholder relationships; all Nationally (50% organizational AND 50% project oriented);
- Development of MOU's and review of existing MOUs;
NB: The employee will be required and expected to execute any lawful instruction given by the line manager or delegated person.
BEHAVIOR AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES (Living the Values)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds colleagues accountable to deliver on their responsibilities -- giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Focused on achieving external impact for the campaign
- Clear ability to understand other people’s perspective and address reasonable concerns and needs
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- We endeavour to treat everyone with respect, empathy and compassion.
- We value passion, determination, perseverance and the sense of urgency. We believe in adopting a realistically positive and optimistic attitude towards everything we do because this inspires others to share the same outlook.
- We believe in creating a learning organisation in which staff members commit themselves to personal growth and, in so doing, seek and share knowledge and information.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in Nursing, Public Health, Community Development with a health background, Dietician, social sciences, or related technical fields.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Ability to drive should also be included At least 8 years of experience of working in the South African Children’s or Youth Sector;
- Proven history of working with child rights advocacy at least 5 years, preferably at both national, regional and global level
- Driver’s license preferable manual car
- Experience in working with different spheres of South African government, departments and Civil Society Organisations; Municipal Processes, particularly Integrated Development Plans
- Knowledge and experience in South Africa’s Child Rights Sector and Child Rights Programming and Child Participation
- Experience and understanding of Child Rights reporting processes to treaty body such as UN Committee on the Rights of the Child and African Committee on the Rights and Welfare of the Child.
- Understanding of and commitment to children’s rights, in terms of national, regional and international child rights instruments.
- Skills to successfully network and co-operate with various partners
- Excellent writing, communications and networking skills in English.
- Knowledge of additional languages an asset
- Understanding of financial budgeting and Project Management Experience at a suitable level;
- Strong initiative and ability to multitask, anticipate and priorities without direct supervision;
If you have a background in any of these skills, please apply by sending your CV to the following address: email@example.com. Clearly mark your application with the following title: Application: Short-term expertise database