International Organization For Migration (IOM)
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organisation, with 166 member states. IOM is committed to the principle that “humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society”. Established in 1951 and now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to promote international cooperation to address operational challenges of migration and mobility, assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
IOM seeks to appoint a Migration Health Nurse to be based in South Africa.
Vacancy/Reference Number: VNSA2019-05
Position Grade: G5 (UN Salary Scale for General Staff)
Appointment Type: One year fixed term contract, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required
- Laboratory testing
- TB management
- Treatment and referrals
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements
- Documentation, certification and information transmission
- Other technical areas as may be required
- Medical examinations
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process
- Treatments and referrals
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination)
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
- High school Diploma / Certificate in Nursing with five years of relevant clinical experience with relevant trainings
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing with three years of clinical experience
- Valid professional license to practice nursing in South Africa
- Technical skills, including in phlebotomy
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunisations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage
- Work experience with international Organisations is advantageous
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Computer literacy required: Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
Fluency in English are required. Knowledge of local languages is desirable
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage
- IInclusion and respect for diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences
- Integrity and transparency - Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules
- Professionalism - Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills
- Teamwork - Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels
- Delivering Results - Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients
- Managing and sharing knowledge - Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organisation
- Communication - Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives
To apply, submit your application to email@example.com under the REFERENCE: VNSA2019/05 in the subject line of your email
- A cover letter motivating your application
- Detailed CV
- Copy of ID
- Copy of a valid license to practice nursing in South Africa
- IOM Personnel History form which you will find on http://southafrica.iom.int in the VACANCIES section
IOM will not be able to track your applications without the reference code provided. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Enquiries in respect to the job description and application may be directed to the same email address.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy.
For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates and will be given priority over external candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, reference checks and residence/work permit and security clearances.
For more about the International Organisation for Migration, refer to www.iom.int