Education Development Center
EDC is a global non-profit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement
The DBE recently released its new National Policy on HIV, STIs and TB to support the prevention, treatment, care and support of all learners, educators, school support staff and officials in the basic education sector, in all public and independent primary and secondary schools in the Republic of South Africa. Compulsory Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) and the provision of Care Services are strategies included in the policy to realise a systematic and sustained response to HIV and TB. These strategies align to and present the sector’s contribution towards the National Strategic Plan (NSP) on HIV, TB and STIs for South Africa, 2017-2022.
EDC is seeking to hire 2 Provincial Operations Managers to be recruited from and working in the Western Cape and in the following districts:
|Province||DBE District/Sub-District||# of POMs|
|Western Cape||Metro East||1|
|Western Cape||Metro North||1|
The Provincial Operations Manager (POM) will provide capacity development and support to the CSE school-based programme in the educational districts where EDC will be operating. The POM will advocate for the inclusion of the DBE HIV Policy and CSE through Scripted Lesson Plans (SLPs) at different platforms. He/she will directly provide training to teachers and district education officials who will be implementing the Sexuality Education Activity in the districts and at school level. The incumbent is also responsible for the development and implementation of a mentoring and support plan for teachers trained on the scripted lesson plans and orientation of the school governing bodies (SGBs) and parents. The POM is expected to compile training, support reports and implementation reports demonstrating progress on the Activity, challenges experienced and mitigation strategies. The POM will be part of a team of EDC staff, Educators and Education Officials rolling out high-quality CSE and HIV prevention programmes in schools.
The POM is expected to articulate clearly and courteously with officials at the Provincial and District Offices of the DBE and USAID mission, and should be able to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, partners, co-workers, and funders. The job requires adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
Design & Delivery
- Works with the EDC Technical Team to:
- Organize and implement a training plan on Sexuality Education for the educational district in which he/ she is working, including conducting ToTs at the district level.
- Design and implement a mentoring plan for the teachers who participate in the Sexuality Education training.
- Train district officials and others to serve as mentors to teachers as they implement Scripted Lessons Plan for Sexuality education and HIV prevention in their schools.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with provincial and district officials working in education and health; collaborate with EDC implementing and M&E partners at provincial and district levels.
- Provide input on materials development to other EDC staff as needed, for example: teacher manual development, supplemental materials and interactive audio or video materials (for training and/or instruction).
Data collection and Analysis
- Records and reports on training and mentoring data.
- Participates in review and interpretation of data analysis for project learning and improvement.
- Tracking implementation targets to ensure implementation is on course.
- Participates in records maintenance activities (as required).
- Provides monthly and quarterly reports for the activities, as required.
- Works with the EDC Technical Team to revise the training manual and plan, as required.
- Works closely and coordinates activities with other project staff working in the province, as well as Provincial and District Education Officials.
- Represents EDC at provincial, district, and school meetings, workshops, or other events.
- Liaises with EDC implementing partners to ensure effective role out, tracking, and reporting on Activity events and programs.
- Builds and maintains community relationships.
- Identifies other potential partners and stakeholders.
- Supports coordination of monitoring and evaluation activities at the provincial, district, and school level.
Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent with two to three years relevant experience
- Experience in training teachers in sexuality and/or HIV prevention education; additional experience training health or other sector workers and/or training of communities in health and HIV prevention will be beneficial
- Knowledge of Sexuality Education
- Experience in HIV Prevention activities
- Ability to perform challenging and complex work
- Strong professional acumen and judgment
- Computer literate with experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proficiency in English required
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
Application and contact details:
The competitive salary and currency will follow EDC’s policies for South Africa. This is not a posted position and no relocation will be provided. Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa. Interested qualified candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to email@example.com by 24 May 2019. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Provincial Operations Manager – Western Cape” and the District in which you are applying for, in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, and competitive remuneration.