Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office
The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand, based in Johannesburg, South Africa is an internationally recognised health research group which conducts research and analysis on issues of public health importance, including a strong focus on HIV, TB, and NCDs. HE2RO, with a complement of approximately 70 researchers and research and administrative support staff, seeks to build the evidence base to improve health policies and programmes in South Africa and the region. We collaborate on policy relevant research with Boston University and other national and international organisations.
HE2RO seeks to appoint a Deputy Director to be based in Johannesburg.
This is a full time position.
- Ensure organisational effectiveness of finance, HR, IT, facilities and maintenance of the unit
- Manage and oversee division budgeting, forecasting, expenditure tracking, accounts payable, payroll, procurement and reporting
- Manage a large portfolio of grants ensuring compliance, reporting and financial deliverables are met timeously
- Provide strategic direction, budget proposals and development oversight for new grant funding opportunities
- Contract management and compliance
- Lead and manage the administrative team in supporting the day to day operations of the division
- Work with all levels of staff to facilitate HR support and management
- Effective participation in senior leadership team, as requested by the division director and other directors
- Manage senior level internal and external stakeholder relationships including Wits Health Consortium and divisions as well as international and local donors and government departments
- Perform other tasks and contribute to organisational management as needed
- Honours or Master’s degree in social science, public health, finance, or business administration
- Minimum five years working experience in a health-related research environment at a senior management level
- Minimum five years’ experience managing and overseeing grant funded programmes (preferably U.S. government grant management experience)
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office programs, particularly in (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to set priorities, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, with an outstanding level of attention to detail, and synthesise a broad range of information in a fast paced environment
- Strong management and leadership qualities and interpersonal skills, able to resolve conflicting priorities
- Command of English language (both written and spoken), able to present confidently and prepare reports of highest quality
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- If not a South Africa citizen, eligible for a work permit in South Africa
- Enthusiastic, and self-motivated
- Organisation, communication, and problem-solving skills to provide senior managerial Administrative oversight for the division in all areas, including grant management, finance, HR, IT, facilities, and maintenance
To apply, submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
HE2RO will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful.
HE2RO reserves the right not to fill this position should it deem it necessary not to.
This position will remain open until filled.
The position is based at HE2RO’s head office in Johannesburg but may require travel within sub-Saharan Africa and possibly globally. Overtime/weekend hours will be required from time to time.
For more information visit our website at www.heroza.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies