Beyond Zero (BZ) - South Africa
Beyond Zero (BZ) has been successfully implementing comprehensive services across the HIV and TB care continuum in the Eastern Cape (EC), KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and Limpopo Provinces in the past 16 years; targeting key and vulnerable populations including adolescents and youths, sex workers (SW), orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and men who have sex with men (MSM) and people living with HIV amongst others. As one of the 4 nominated Principal Recipient (PRs) in South Africa to lead and provide strategic management, oversight, monitoring and evaluation on the implementation of the Global Fund grant for the period April 2019 until December 2020. Beyond Zero (BZ) is recruiting to fill the following positions for the AGYW Programme within the Department of Basic Education (DBE) under the GF funding mechanism.
Contract duration: One year fixed term with possibility of extension for 3 years subject to funding availability.
Salary: Market Related
Anticipated start date: 1 June ,2019
Closing date for applications: 12 Noon ( CAT) on the 17th May,2019 .
Based at: Beyond Zero Offices + DBE (Pretoria Head Office)
Reports to: DBE Director: Health Promotion and BZ Project Director
Position Description Summary
Seconded by Beyond Zero to the Department of Basic Education, job purpose of this Position is to provide targeted leadership, and technical expertise to the Department of Basic Education to assist with the management, guide and monitor the implementation of the Global Fund Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) programme, as guided by the DBE National Policies on School Health and HIV. This leadership role will evolve in relation to the broader implementation of the DBE National Policy on HIV, STIs and TB as well as the Integrated School Health Policy over the life activity of the program.
Duties and responsibilities :
Work within the DBE Care and Support Services Branch responsible for the GF AGYW Programme to:
- Provide targeted leadership and technical expertise to the DBE to manage, guide and monitor the implementation of the AGYW programme package in the priority districts identified by Global Fund and DBE.
- Organise the GF Primary Recipients (PRs) and applicable National Government Departments in undertaking gap analysis to identify current key priorities, challenges, opportunities and geographic variations
- Support Provincial Programme Managers to develop and implement integrated plans that improve the delivery of the GF AGYW programme in the priority sub districts
- Work with portfolio leads in other PRs and Provincial Technical Specialists to develop a detailed project workplan for the funding cycle period for Beyond Zero and the DBE.
- Provide guidance and oversight to Provincial Programme Managers in the implementation of documents such as operating procedures, specifications, guidelines and reporting/monitoring documents
- Quality assure and consolidate regular progress reports generated by Provincial Programme Managers with the view to improve project outcomes
- Advocate for operations that test innovation and support development, translation, and implementation as well as the improvement of AGYW services at schools
- Assist DBE in coordinating stakeholder liaison engagements with partners providing school-based services to protect and advance AGYW
- Maintain a close-working relationship with relevant stakeholders and partners to ensure ongoing support and buy-in and support Provincial Programme Managers in cascading this in provinces and priority districts.
- Consult, share expertise for integration of GF AGYW activity plans with the broader DBE priorities and the steps of implementation amongst the critical role players/stakeholders
- Participate in the regular field monitoring visits undertaken by the Health Promotion Directorate and Technical Support Team in the office of the Branch Head to assess progress and provide solutions.
- NQF Level 7 Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or Education is essential.
- A Master’s /Doctorate Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or Education will be an added advantage
- At least 8 years’ working experience in a management position within the Public Sector or Senior Management Position in a Civil Society environment
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the development of reports, grants proposals, strategies /guidelines / training manuals.
- An excellent understanding of the HIV and TB epidemic in South Africa, especially prevention among the key populations essential.
- Proven ability to co-ordinate stakeholder groups is required.
- An understanding of the interface between the South African government operations and NGO environment.
- Work experience in donor –funded projects at provincial / and or national level essential.
- Proven ability to communicate and interact with high –level officials from government agencies, NGOs, international development organisations, and the private sector.
- High degree of organisational, initiative and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in English (both oral and written)
- Knowledge of other South African local languages will be added advantage
- Exceptional communication, writing and editing skills
- Computer skills essential including ability to use Microsoft office packages, email and internet
- Ability to work in a deadline-orientated environment and manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Excellent networking skills
- Goal orientated
- Proven ability to lead team/s
- Diversity, project & change management skills
- Able to work independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to maintain document archives
- Flexibility to work beyond regular core business hours
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel as and when required
By applying for the above mentioned position, applicants consent to qualification, ID, Criminal and Reference checks on them which form part of BZ recruitment process.
To Apply: cover letters clearly stating Position being applied for, CVs, and copies of qualifications must be forwarded to email@example.com
NB. Applicants who have not heard from BZ one month after the publication of these adverts should consider their applications unsuccessful and, any future correspondence from BZ thereof will be limited to shortlisted applicants only.
BZ reserves the right to re-advertise the above Position should the need arise and also reserves the right not to fill the Post.
None South African Citizens and none South African Permanent Residence holders must be in possession of valid documentation authorizing them to work in South Africa.
BZ is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates from key vulnerable populations are encouraged to apply