Beyond Zero (BZ) - South Africa
Beyond Zero (BZ) has been successfully implementing comprehensive services across the HIV and TB care continuum in the Eastern Cape (EC), KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and Limpopo Provinces in the past 16 years; targeting key and vulnerable populations including adolescents and youths, sex workers (SW), orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and men who have sex with men (MSM) and people living with HIV amongst others. As one of the 4 nominated Principal Recipient (PRs) in South Africa to lead and provide strategic management, oversight, monitoring and evaluation on the implementation of the Global Fund grant for the period April 2019 until December 2020. Beyond Zero (BZ) is recruiting to fill the following positions for the AGYW Programme within the Department of Basic Education (DBE) under the GF funding mechanism.
Contract duration: One year fixed term with possibility of extension for 3 years subject to funding availability.
Salary: Market Related
Anticipated start date: 1 June ,2019
Closing date for applications: 12 Noon ( CAT) on the 17th May,2019 .
Based at : Beyond Zero + DBE (Pretoria Head Office)
Reports To: National Technical Specialist
Position Description Summary Seconded by Beyond Zero to the Department of Basic Education, job purpose of this Position is to provide technical assistance to the Department of Basic Education to manage, guide and monitor the implementation of the Global Fund Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) programme, as guided by the DBE National Policies on School Health and HIV. This technical assistance role will evolve in relation to the broader implementation of learner support as well as learner health and wellbeing programmes of the DBE, in as far as the Care and Support for Teaching and Learning (CSTL) Framework, DBE National Policy on HIV, STIs and TB as well as the Integrated School Health Policy are concerned.
Duties and responsibilities:
Work within the DBE Care and Support Services Branch responsible for the GF AGYW Programme to:
- Ensure that the programmatic responses of the DBE to the twin epidemics of HIV and TB are consistent and aligned to the best available evidence.
- Provide technical assistance to Provincial Programme Managers to develop, implement and monitor the AGYW programme package in the priority districts identified by Global Fund and DBE.
- Strengthen the implementation of the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) programme for learners in schools
- Provide technical advice and support to the Branch: Care and Support Services on the development and implementation of SRHR programmes in the basic education sector
- Liaise and co-operate with provincial education departments, national government departments, SANAC, universities, research organizations as well as NGOs and civic organizations in support of the HIV and TB programmes of the basic education sector
- Consult, share expertise for integration of GF AGYW activity plans with the broader DBE priorities and the steps of implementation amongst the critical role players/stakeholders
- Participate in the regular field monitoring visits undertaken by the Health Promotion Directorate and Technical Support Team in the office of the Branch Head to assess progress and provide solutions to improve AGYW implementation.
- NQF Level 7 Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or Education is essential.
- A Master’s /Doctorate Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or Education will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ working experience in a relevant technical or professional position. Public sector or civil society experience is preferred.
- Proven experience in the development of reports, grants proposals, strategies /guidelines / training manuals.
- An excellent understanding of the HIV and TB epidemic in South Africa, especially prevention among the key populations essential.
- Proven ability to co-ordinate stakeholder groups is required.
- An understanding of the interface between the South African government operations and NGO environment.
- Work experience in donor–funded projects at provincial and/or national level essential, preferably in the education, health or social development sectors.
- Proven ability to communicate and interact with high–level officials from government agencies, NGOs, international development organisations, and the private sector.
- High degree of organisational, initiative and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in English (both oral and written)
- Knowledge of other South African local languages will be added advantage
- Exceptional communication, writing and editing skills
- Computer skills essential including ability to use Microsoft office packages, email and internet
- Ability to work in a deadline-orientated environment and manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Excellent networking skills
- Goal orientated
- Able to work independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to maintain document archives
- Flexibility to work beyond regular core business hours
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel as and when required
By applying for the above mentioned position, applicants consent to qualification, ID, Criminal and Reference checks on them which form part of BZ recruitment process.
To Apply: cover letters clearly stating Position being applied for, CVs, and copies of qualifications must be forwarded to email@example.com
NB. Applicants who have not heard from BZ one month after the publication of these adverts should consider their applications unsuccessful and, any future correspondence from BZ thereof will be limited to shortlisted applicants only.
BZ reserves the right to re-advertise the above Position should the need arise and also reserves the right not to fill the Post.
None South African Citizens and none South African Permanent Residence holders must be in possession of valid documentation authorizing them to work in South Africa.
BZ is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates from key vulnerable populations are encouraged to apply