CHIVA South Africa
CHIVA South Africa is dedicated to improving healthcare for children and adolescents living with HIV in South Africa. CHIVA SA provides mentoring, teaching and support to healthcare professionals caring for the country’s most vulnerable population - its children and adolescents. The Organisation shares expertise to build skills and capacity, resulting in a generation of treatment South African health professionals that is better equipped to provide young people living with HIV the expert and care that they need.
CHIVA South Africa seeks to appoint a Psychosocial Advisor, to be based in Tugela Ferry, KwaZulu-Natal
This is a fixed term contract for 12 months (commencing June/July 2019).
Under the support and supervision of the Clinical Nurse Mentor, the Psychosocial Advisor is responsible for the implementation of targeted teaching and mentoring to all cadres of healthcare workers in 20 selected clinics across uMzinyathi district. The aim of the programme is to improve the skills and competencies of healthcare workers to manage the complex and diverse needs of children and adolescents living with HIV.
- Contribute to the day to day teaching and mentoring of all cadres of healthcare staff engaged in managing children and adolescents, including those living with HIV
- Provide on-site and remote (telephonic) mentoring support to 20 selected clinics in uMzinyathi District
- Provide on-site teaching on key clinical aspects of healthcare provision to children and adolescents
- Provide guidance (through teaching and/or mentoring) to all cadres of workers who are providing healthcare services to children and adolescents on specific aspects identified in the assessments, including:
- Disclosure of HIV status
- Adherence to chronic medications, including ART
- Support group benefits, challenges, topics
- PCR/Finger prick testing and interpretation of results
- Assess the quality and efficiency of services delivered to children and adolescents and assist with development of interventions to close any identified gaps
- HIV Counsellor or Social Auxiliary Worker
- Have experience in child and adolescent management/counselling
- Have experience in counselling children, adolescents and their families about HIV
- Experience of working with children and adolescents who know their HIV status
- Experience of working with other stakeholders (healthcare workers, parents, caregivers etc) to enable disclosure of HIV status to children and adolescents
- Teaching and mentoring experience
- Knowledge of national policies and guidelines regarding primary healthcare services, HIV, TB, child and adolescent health
- A valid driving licence would be an advantage
- Communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer literate (Microsoft Suite)
- Oral and written English
- Willing to be based in/work from Tugela Ferry, KwaZulu-Natal
To apply, submit your CV and a covering letter in which you are requested to highlight how you specifically meet the minimum requirements for this role to email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Should you not have received feedback within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
CHIVA South Africa will not consider unsolicited candidates from recruitment agencies.
For more information about CHIVA South Africa, please refer to www.chiva-africa.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies