Save The Children
JOB TITLE: Program Intern
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Regional Programming Unit (RPU), Migration & Displacement||LOCATION: Pretoria|
|GRADE: Internship||TYPE OF CONTRACT: National|
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The Migration and Displacement (M&D) pillar within the Regional Programming Unit (RPU) leverages regional experience and strategic partnerships to influence policy, identify integrated approaches, generate knowledge and cross learning, pilot transnational solutions to issues affecting migrant children across thematic areas, and catalyse sustainable change at scale for children affected by migration and displacement across the East and Southern Africa Region (ESAR).
As part of the Migration & Displacement pillar which constitutes of nine projects, the program intern will be responsible in supporting the Regional Migration & Displacement Manager on key programmatic inputs for the pillar.
The internship will run for 6 months.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Regional Migration & Displacement Manager
Dimensions: Support to the Migration & Displacement program of the Regional Programming Unit on key outputs of the unit which include the cross-border mechanisms in East & Southern Africa.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Cross-Border Mechanisms in East & Southern Africa
- Assist with the planning and organising of the regional learning event & regional cross border, which include the development of concept notes and terms of reference.
- Support the team with organising the planning of the East & Horn of Africa Child Protection (CP) cross border workshop in May 2019.
- Support the team with organising a side event on M& D at the PCIC conference, which include concept note and policy briefs as well as maintaining and inviting key participants.
- Support the team with a stocktaking exercise of key actors working on migration & child protection in the EHoA.
- Support with documentation, packaging and framing of SCI migration programs in the East & Horn of Africa
- Document action points at key meetings and report writing.
- Contributing to the M&D quarterly bulletin.
- Supporting the social media presence of the M&D pillar by uploading pictures and videos with short written pieces of the pillar’s work to internal and external audiences
- Attend key meetings at the request of the M&D program
Research Support & Documentation
- Support with background research for presentations and business development
- Support with background information for key presentations by the migration manager
- Support the research & knowledge manager with key outputs on SDC
- Input into key research documents produced by the pillar
- Develop program briefs on the work of the M&D to share with key stake holders
SADC Migration Policy
- Support the M&D manager on key inputs from government officials in 6 SADC countries on the migration policy
- Facilitate civil society input on the migration policy by inviting key stakeholders to engagements and documenting input on the policy.
- Document key inputs on the migration policy to be submitted to IOM
- Develop a data base for the M&D program of key actors in the field, which include donors and the media
- Support the migration manager with key tasks as requested
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS, ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Migration, law, Social Sciences or related field
- Program and budget management experience
- Experience working with government and regional bodies preferable
- High level of integrity and ability to work as part of a professional team
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Proven ability to handle challenging environments and work load
- Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Have attention to detail & value results they produce
- Understanding of operational/ action research desirable.
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org (plese put position applied for in the subject line)