Down Syndrome Association Western Cape
Down Syndrome Association Western Cape (DSAWC) is a nonprofit organisation providing services and support to persons affected by Down syndrome and similar intellectual disabilities.
DSAWC seeks to appoint a Social Worker to be based in Bellville, Cape Town.
Remuneration: R 15 635.75
The purpose of the position is to provide psycho-social support to persons with Down syndrome and similar intellectual disabilities, their family members and caregivers. Assisting the families to come to terms with the disability, educating them, participating in the process of improving the quality of their life, empowering them and facilitating access to various support services and resources.
- Provide psycho-social support to persons with Down syndrome and similar intellectual disabilities, their family members and significant others, by assisting the affected person, family members and significant others
- Facilitate group work sessions with small groups of affected persons, their family members, and care givers
- Facilitate support groups in schools
- Facilitate monthly support groups for families
- Facilitate monthly and quarterly parent support groups
- Facilitate workshops to create awareness, to ensure the understanding and ongoing support thereby promoting the accessibility of appropriate services
- Undertake home visits.
- Network with the local communities, appropriate organisations governmental departments and therapists
- Liaise, advise, educate and support professional staff regarding Down syndrome and similar intellectual disabilities
- Attend monthly committee meetings upon request
- Attend Department of Social Development meetings and others as recommended by the management committee
- Monthly report back to Office re: projects
- Complete Department of Social Development returns
- Assist with office tasks as well as fundraising and awarenessas events.
- Provide supervision to Social Auxiliary Worker, Community Development Workers and give input on performance
- Maintain registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professionals
- Keep abreast with professional developments and update knowledge in all areas of social work and skills in muscular dystrophy and neuromuscular disorders
- Adhere to the code of professional ethics
- Applicable BA (Social work) Degree
- Registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP)
- Preferably minimum of three to five years’ relevant experience as a Social Worker
- Valid Code 8 driver’s licence
- Computer literacy
- Report writing and interpersonal skills
- Facilitation skills and able to work independently
- Administrative skills
- English / Afrikaans essential plus one African language an advantage
- Police Clearance Certificate essential
- Occasional Saturday work could be required
To apply, submit a two-page CV and a motivational letter, to the Manager, Tineke Ganz-Malan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only applicants that fit the above-mentioned criteria will be considered.
Should you not hear from us within two weeks after the closing date, consider your application as unsuccessful.
DSAWC reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Down Syndrome Association Western Cape, refer to www.dsawc.co.za