ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability
Professional Officer: Climate Finance
(2-year fixed term contract position with the potential of renewal)
ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities.
ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa also proudly hosts ICLEI’s global Cities Biodiversity Center (CBC) which works with cities and partners across the world (www.cbc.iclei.org).
The successful candidate must have proven experience in the following areas:
- Assessing the financial condition of cities/municipalities.
- Formulating financial and investment strategies (innovative financing and blended financing approaches).
- Climate change, energy and/ or resilience.
- Working within multi-disciplinary teams, and enhancing collaboration between stakeholders from diverse fields and disciplines.
We particularly welcome applications from professionals, with experience in addition to what is listed above, related to:
- Identify/mapping funding sources and requirements, and facilitate linking with the sources identified.
- Ability to work with the private sector on matters related to finance, sustainability and climate change.
- Working with African city stakeholders in innovative ways.
Furthermore, we expect the successful candidate to be a skilled project manager, able to deliver projects and accompanying deliverables on time and with high quality. The candidate should also be able to communicate articulately about the work that they do at ICLEI Africa, and work with teams in strategically ensuring that opportunities are harnessed to their maximum to serve ICLEI’s network cities. Candidates should demonstrate a keen interest for, and proven experience in business development and building strategic partnerships.
- Relevant Honours, Masters or PhD degree, or equivalent qualification;
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience related to the above listed areas; and
- Innovative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across sub-Saharan Africa and internationally.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations and the private sector on behalf of ICLEI;
- Ability to be flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure;
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style;
- Excellent English written, presentation and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency in another language(s) spoken in Africa, will be a strong added advantage.
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience;
- South African resident/valid work or critical skills permit;
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally; and
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context.
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including a certified copy of your ID, and if relevant – Visa, available starting date and three references to Mellissa Moses (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 16h00 on 17 April 2019.
No late applications will be considered.
A market-related and competitive annual remuneration package (TCOE based) will be offered to successful candidates, taking into consideration qualifications and experience.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 60 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful.
ICLEI Africa reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.