ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability
Communications Officer: Climate Change, Energy & Resilience
(2-year fixed term contract position with the potential of renewal)
ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities.
ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa also proudly hosts ICLEI’s global Cities Biodiversity Center (CBC) which works with cities and partners across the world (www.cbc.iclei.org).
The job will include the following and the successful candidate must have proven experience and skills in these areas:
- Journalism: Identifying story angles, interviewing, researching, distilling key messages and writing up content
- Website content management: Producing content and updating websites
- Social media management: A working knowledge of Twitter is essential
- Editing and proofreading
- Media liaison
- Communicating concepts related to sustainability, preferably climate change, energy and resilience to diverse stakeholders, and in particular, politicians and technical officials operating at the subnational level of government
The following skills and experience would be an added advantage:
- Development of communication campaigns
- Video script writing
- Brand management
- Diplomacy, particularly with high ranking government and United Nations officials.
Furthermore, we expect the successful candidate to be a skilled project manager, able to deliver projects and accompanying deliverables on time and with high quality. Candidates should demonstrate a keen interest for, and proven experience in business development and building strategic partnerships to take ICLEI Africa’s communications work forward with communications and technical teams.
- Relevant post-graduate degree or equivalent qualification
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience related to the above listed areas
- Excellent English written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Highly computer literate
- Good networks within media and communications circles on the African continent to assist ICLEI Africa in harnessing the most applicable platforms for dissemination of communication products
- Innovative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across sub-Saharan Africa and internationally
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations and the private sector on behalf of ICLEI
- Ability to be flexible about work responsibilities, prioritise and thrive under pressure
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style
- Proficiency in another language spoken in Africa, specifically French, will be a strong added advantage
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience
- South African resident/valid work or critical skills permit
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel, locally and internationally
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context.
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including a certified copy of your ID, and if relevant – Visa, available starting date and three references to Mellissa Moses (email@example.com) by 16h00 on 17 April 2019.
No late applications will be considered.
A market-related and competitive annual remuneration package (TCOE based) will be offered to successful candidates, taking into consideration qualifications and experience.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 60 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful.
ICLEI Africa reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.