CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation is one of the leading and most diverse international civil society networks, with members and partners in more than 100 countries and a staff of 35 people from over 20 countries. CIVICUS implements a range of programmatic activities focusing on strengthening civil society and its role in governance and development worldwide. It also serves as a convener of global civil society leaders through its annual World Assembly.
CIVICUS seeks to appoint a Research Officer for the Civic Space, to be based in South Africa.
The purpose of the position is to support the continued publication of high-quality daily content on the CIVICUS Monitor platform, to support the strengthening of the Monitor’s global research collaboration and to support the technical development of the Monitor platform itself. In addition, to advance the civic space research agenda at CIVICUS through contributions to periodic research papers, analysis of trends and continued tracking of violations, abuses and positive developments.
- Coordinate and assist with the publication of daily updates on the CIVICUS Monitor site
- Provide editing and feedback for content submitted to the CIVICUS Monitor
- Contribute to the identification, planning and implementation of research papers, policy briefs and any other internal or external documents on civic space
- Conduct structured interviews with in-country civil society contacts
- Provide advice on research and research methodology on civic space to ensure quality and consistency of work
- Maintain a comprehensive overview of trends and developments on civic space, particularly in the assigned region
- Other tasks related to the furtherance of CIVICUS research on civic space, as assigned
Support the managing of partners relations
- Manage updates for research partners, as assigned
- Help with the organisation of regular online meetings of research partners, and one annual research partners workshop
Advocacy / Communications
- As required, speak about CIVICUS research to external audiences during online or in-person meetings or conferences
- Coordinate with the CIVICUS Communications teams to ensure maximum visibility for posts on the CIVICUS Monitor and any other related material
- Coordinate and support the CIVICUS advocacy team to ensure a clear connection between Monitor content and CIVICUS advocacy efforts
- Promote the Monitor through social media and other channels as appropriate
- Candidates must have five to seven years’ experience working directly with civil society organisations and/or human rights defenders, ideally in the Americas region
- In addition, diplomas/degrees in the following domains will be taken into account, although are not mandatory for this position:
- Political science
- International relations
- Competence with a wide range of languages – these can be either UN or non-UN languages – is considered a strong asset, preferable Spanish
- Understanding of global civil society, human rights and development issues and trends
- An understanding of international human rights frameworks related to fundamental freedoms of association, peaceful assembly and expression
- Preference for candidates with practical hands-on experience and/or understanding of working with civil society organisations or human rights defenders, preferable in the Americas region
- Previous experience of working on research or advocacy projects related to human rights, social justice or democracy
- Computer literacy, with any web-based publication experience an advantage
- Previous experience of drafting documents in any language for publication
To apply, submit your applications to email@example.com
Application should comprise of:
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing the more significant positions and responsibilities held
- A covering note of not more than one page outlining your motivation for applying for the role
- Contact details of three references
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted a week later to schedule interviews.
Due to high volumes of applications received, should you not have received feedback on your application within three weeks of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
CIVICUS reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
For more about CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, refer to www.civicus.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies