Africa Check is a non-profit organisation set up in 2012 to promote accuracy in public debate and the media in Africa. The goal of Africa Check’s work is to raise the quality of information available to society across the continent. Since 2012 they have fact-checked hundreds of claims on topics from crime and race in South Africa to population numbers in Nigeria and fake health cures in countries around Africa.
Based in the Journalism Department of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, Africa Check seeks to appoint a
Deputising for the Executive Director and assisting in the development of Africa Check’s overall strategy, the Deputy Director will be responsible for planning and managing implementation of key areas of the strategy.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Assisting the Executive Director in the development and implementation of overall strategy
- Ensuring efficient delivery of agreed work plans across the organisation
- Providing the editorial teams with day-to-day guidance on editorial matters, as and when they require this
- Taking responsibility for the management of people in the organisation
- Developing the income generating / business development / fundraising strategy
- Overseeing the development and implementation of the digital communication strategy
- Overseeing the management of Human Resource, finance and administration system and policies
- Supporting the ED and finance team in the development of budgets, and the monitoring of spending
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following:
- Extensive media experience on the continent, preferably in the non-profit or development sector
- Extensive senior management experience
- Substantial NGO experience on the continent
- A commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of fact-checking, and a track record in investigations, media accountability or open information
- NGO experience on the continent, preferred
- Excellent Interpersonal and presentation skills suitable for representing Africa Check at local and international events.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Wednesday, 19th June 2019 to email@example.com