GreenCape Job Opportunity
|Remuneration||Market related salary and contribution towards medical aid benefits|
|Requirement||Master’s degree, ideally in media, communications, sustainability, or field relevant to the green economy|
GreenCape is a non-profit organisation that supports the development of the green economy – one that is low carbon, resource efficient and socially inclusive - in the Western Cape, South Africa. We assist green technology businesses and investors focusing on green technologies and services to remove barriers to investment and growth. For more details on GreenCape, see www.greencape.co.za.
GreenCape is recruiting for a self-motivated, creative, confident and experienced communications manager. The role is to provide strategic communications leadership and advice, by developing and maintaining the GreenCape brand, by overseeing fundraising communications, and by using strategic communications to ensure GreenCape delivers impactful work and achieves its goals.
The role would suit an experienced communications professional with a solid technical/scientific background, and at least ten years of experience in strategic communications, publishing, public relations, journalism or media.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree, ideally in media, communications, sustainability, or field relevant to the green economy.
- Demonstrable experience (preferably at least 5 years of senior-level experience) in strategic communications management for an organisation, ideally for a non-profit or for an organisation operating within the green economy or sustainability-related field.
- Proven experience in organisational strategy development, with a sound understanding of how to design communication strategies for a variety of audiences, including industry, government, and funders.
- Proven experience working with and communicating with stakeholders and funders, and a sensitivity to their needs and requirements, in particular communication of impact and impact stories.
- Proven experience in the strategic conceptualisation, development and management of impactful and world-class publications and communications products.
- Proven experience in media and public relations, ideally with existing networks and relationships with media in South Africa and beyond.
- Firm grasp of social media platforms, tools and policies; with web development, graphic design and CRM knowledge/experience an added advantage.
- Excellent English writing skills, with strong and demonstrable proofreading and editing skills.
- A commitment to the green economy, and world-class communications and messaging.
- A commitment to diversity, inclusion, and transformation.
- Flexibility and willingness to master new areas of work and take on additional responsibilities in GreenCape as organisational needs change.
- A commitment to learning and ongoing development.
- Raising GreenCape’s profile: Generally managing, nurturing, building and protecting GreenCape’s brand through quality assurance of all public communications, and through strategic communications, PR and award submissions.
- Providing strategic communications leadership and advice to GreenCape and its programme teams. This includes overseeing the conceptualisation and development of public deliverables (events, case studies, industry briefs, market intelligence reports, animations, video, etc.) and their impactful dissemination.
- Donor management support: identify platforms for and raise the profile of GreenCape’s existing funders through identification of platforms, PR opportunities; advise on / support business development and funder management through excellent fundraising communications, support and quality assurance.
- Business development: Support business development efforts by raising GreenCape’s profile nationally and internationally, and with prospective funders, and from time to time contribute to funding proposal development, or other business development activities.
- Media relations: Directing GreenCape’s public relations efforts, through the development of press releases, contributed articles, and editorials;
- Financial management and reporting: Financial and project reporting.
- Monitoring and evaluation of communication impacts: oversee the development and management of systems to ensure that communication impacts and outcomes are tracked and reported on in the most efficient way possible.
- Project management/supervision and line management of dedicated and ad hoc communications staff.
Contract length and remuneration
The position is full-time and is initially available as a contract until the end of March 2020, with the potential to be renewed (to a three-year contract) subject to performance and the availability of funding. There will be a three month probation period for this position.
Remuneration will be market-related, with recognition that GreenCape is a not-for-profit organisation. Offers made will take qualifications, experience and level of responsibility into account.
Applications and queries can be submitted via email to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is at 09h00am on the 20th of March 2019.
Interviews will be held in the following week (25 – 29 March 2019), with the successful candidate starting as soon as possible thereafter (likely to be before or on the 1st May 2019).
Applications must include:
- A detailed CV
- Copies of academic transcripts
- A letter of motivation indicating what motivated the candidate to apply for the role:
- What the candidate feels they bring to the role that would make them a preferred candidate;
- An indication of salary expectations;
- An indication of availability for an interview in the week of 25 -29 March
- An indication of when the candidate would be available to commence work
- Proof of eligibility to work in South Africa (copy of SA ID or work permit)
Only candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Candidates who have not heard from GreenCape by the end of March 2019 should consider their application unsuccessful.
Note that GreenCape reserves the right to not appoint to these positions or to change the role in response to applicant abilities and interests. Also note that GreenCape reserves the right to apply employment equity to the appointment.