Greatmore Studios Trust & Thupelo Cape Town Trust
Greatmore Studios Trust & Thupelo Cape Town Trust
GENERAL MANAGER VACANCY – Cape Town based
Greatmore Studios Trust provides a studio environment and training in which artists can work freely and develop their creative abilities and professional skills and which provides the opportunity to build a professional practice in order to establish a career. It also provides a supportive environment for the exchange of ideas and skills to self-motivated practicing artists. Artists from various communities and cultures are encouraged to grow their practice in a personal studio space and also to contribute to the collective projects and programs and the industry as a whole.
Thupelo Cape Town Trust has found a unique place in the visual arts industry since 1985. It is not an institution but a strong ever- developing network. Formed from requests from artists in these networks, the Thupelo Workshops are widely acknowledged for their immense contribution to growing South African artists in an inclusive and interactive environment.
Greatmore Studios Trust and Thupelo Cape Town Trust seek to appoint a General Manager, to be based in their Woodstock office.
Key Performance Areas
Strategic Planning & Business Management
- Develops and directs the organisation's strategic and long-range goals
- Conducts organisational reviews to identify strengths and weaknesses and to evaluate operational effectiveness
- Makes recommendations based on emerging trends, expansion opportunities, competitive threats, viability of outside business partners, and internal business process improvement.
- Develops and maintains positive working partnerships with stakeholders
- Manages stakeholder expectations
- Provides a platform for artistic dialogue with relevant artists’ forums, agencies, etc.
- Develops and implements a fundraising and marketing strategy to ensure the long term financial sustainability and growth of the organisation
- Researches national and international fundraising opportunities (Trusts, Foundations, Individuals, CSI, etc.)
- Builds and maintains relationships with funders
- Sets up and keeps the funder database up to date
- Maintains and monitors a database of the overall funder reporting records and correspondence
- Ensures that funders are kept informed of progress and milestones
- Utilises all fundraising and marketing methodologies and a diverse range of income streams to generate funds for the organisation and its programmes
- Plans, writes and submits funding proposals
- Provides timeous accurate and relevant reporting information to funders.
- Identifies and timeously addresses problems and opportunities impacting the achievement of organisational objectives
- Oversees the execution of financial functions including financial reports, monthly reports, annual financial statements, budget reports and capital expenditure and prepares, manages and implements follow-up plans based on given recommendations
- Ensures that internal control procedures and funder regulations are adhered to
- Maintains internal accounting system and records, and ensures reliability and integrity of financial management information systems, documentation and reports
- Ensures that any purchase, lease or sale of assets is done in accordance with procurement guidelines and receives the required approvals
- Manages the operational budget; monitors income and expenditure in line with agreed allocations; provides the necessary reports to the Trustees and funders and provides recommendations for budget realignments as required
- Ensures adequate systems for performance management are put in place and administered as part of the organisational life
- Monitors staff personal and professional development plans, ensuring job descriptions and contracts are up to date and filed
- Develops implements and monitors functional policies and procedures
- Takes overall management responsibility for the use and maintenance of the buildings and for any re-development which may take place
- Ensures compliance with Trustees regulations
- Oversees the day to day operations of the organisation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience required:
- Proven track record of at least 3 to 5 years management and fund-raising experience in the not for profit sector or similar
- Experience of governance requirements, all compliance issues and financial management with the ability to provide required reports to the Trustees
- Ability to meet all reporting and funding application deadlines
- Proven ability to establish strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders including government representatives, non-profit associations, funders, media, academic and research institutes, and other stakeholders in the cultural sector
- Ability to work in a team environment and provide support to staff
- Bring vision and strategic oversight and innovation to the projects and programmes
- The position requires the applicant to be an Ambassador for Greatmore Studios Trust & Thupelo Cape Town Trust by attending key art events and networking in the art community and be able to deliver formal presentations on all matters including the history of the organisation
- Solid experience with MS Office, MS Outlook and Excel
- Some knowledge of the creative arts sector will be an advantage
Interested candidates must send a motivation letter highlighting your suitability to the role and a CV in Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that the organisation cannot assist with relocation costs to Cape Town.
Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.