Institute for Security Studies
The Institute for Security Studies is a leading African organisation that enhances human security to enable sustainable development and economic prosperity in Africa. It works across the continent, doing authoritative research, providing expert policy advice and delivering practical training and technical assistance.
ISS seeks to appoint a Programme Assistant for the Transnational Threats and International Crime programme, to be based in Pretoria.
A competitive salary is offered.
The contract will be until 28 February 2021 and may be renewed subject to programme requirements, funding and satisfactory performance.
The purpose of the position is to provide general administrative support to the programme and helping to organise training courses, arranging travel for programme staff, requests for quotations from suppliers, and creating purchase orders.
- Make logistical arrangements for events and programme staff including travel, accommodation, per diems, travel insurance, visa applications and shuttle arrangements
- Travel to training events to assist with preparations and logistics
- Prepare budgets for events and monitor expenses
- Process financial transactions including purchase orders, and coordinate with the Finance Department for payments
- Provide general administration support as necessary, including organising internal meetings, managing the programme’s calendar, minute-taking, liaison with service providers, booking of services, record-keeping and filing
- Assist with adding stakeholders’ details to the programme database
- A diploma in business administration, secretarial studies/office administration
- Minimum of five years’ experience in financial and programme administration
- Written and verbal communication skills in English, knowledge of French will be an added advantage
- Strong organising skills, including speed, efficiency and attention to detail
- Budgeting and financial administration skills
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and understand and solve problems quickly and calmly
- Ability to work in a team
- Strong people skills and a highly professional approach
- Ability to work with a diverse range of people
- Proven competence in Microsoft Office suites (at least an intermediate knowledge Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Available to travel internationally
To apply, submit a cover letter, detailed CV, and recent writing sample, including at least three contactable referees to Rekha Valabh at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more about the Institute for Security Studies, refer to www.issafrica.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies