Since the 1980s, when Oxfam started working in Mozambique they have implemented development and humanitarian programmes to support practical and innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty. Oxfam works with local stakeholders to find lasting solutions to the root causes keeping people in poverty. Oxfam is currently collaborating with the Government, international and local CSOs, UN Agencies and other stakeholders. Oxfam envisions a Mozambique free of extreme inequality and injustice; societies where citizens and particularly women across all age groups claim and exercise their rights and responsibilities and can influence the decisions that affect their lives.
Based in Maputo - Mozambique, Oxfam seeks a dynamic, charismatic and credible leader to take on the role of:
The Country Director will be accountable to the Oxfam Regional Director for Southern Africa (SAF) for the delivery, effective management (which includes budgets and planning), monitoring and evaluation, and learning from the program.
The Country Director must possess a Master’s Degree. Other requirements for this challenging executive position include:
- Significant senior leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high quality program, influencing and humanitarian strategy, with and through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations
- Demonstrated experience in mobilising resources
- Commitment to a rights-based approach including an active commitment to putting women’s rights as well as the rights of other marginalised people in all aspects of the organisations work
- Experience in leading and motivating multi-disciplinary teams, operating in geographically remote locations
- A high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development in line with Oxfam’s values and policies
- Experience of managing complex change processes and relationships involving a wide range of both internal and external multi-cultural stakeholders across a variety of disciplines and geographical areas
- Proven track record of success in representing an organisation with partners; government agencies, private sector organisations, media and donors at senior level; national and globally
- Knowledge and understanding of how local institutions work and how these impact on Oxfam’s work in Mozambique
- Proven track record of applying new technologies to programming or make use of existing technologies to innovatively influence program design and delivery
- NGO Sector experience in Mozambique and in the Southern Africa Region is an asset
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Portuguese
All Oxfam’s work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about their values please visit their website www etc...
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through their code of conduct. They place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate their values are recruited to work for them.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.