Operations Manager at Earthlife Africa Johannesburg – Part-time (3days a week or half day)
Applications close: Thursday 20 March 2019
Job Description: The Operations Manager will support improvements to systems and procedures, ensuring that they are fit for purpose and that programs operate with due regard to compliance, quality and consistency.
The role would involve managing a complex and multi-faceted workload covering all key areas of operations within ELA. Working closely with the management team in the design and implementation of operational systems ensuring compliance with organisational/donor/statutory policies, procedures and guidelines.
The successful candidate will report to the Director.
Candidate Requirements: Relevant degree or diploma in Business Administration / Logistics Management or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to do the work.
- Fluent in written and verbal English and another language highly desirable
- Essential Knowledge, skills and Experience
- Substantial work experience in relevant sectors and context, ideally in a not for profit organisation
- Substantial experience and knowledge of donor regulations and compliance requirements.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a strong ethos.
- Ability to communicate well at all levels with a developed skill of tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent judgement an ability to think through different courses of action and make pragmatic, practical decisions
- High degree of computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Excel, word and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Approachable, authoritative with excellent listening and influencing skills. Able to hold the line when needed.
- Upholds ethics and values, acts with professionalism absolute integrity and clear personal values consistent with the ELA mission and values
- Management experience AND Fundraising experience;
- Creative and dynamic personality and ability to work in a team and to lead a team;
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal;
- Experience of project management in the NGO sector;
- Monitor financial procedures undertaken by the finance team
- Provide regular narrative and financial management reports together
- Work closely with the Financial Manager ensuring that statutory returns are prepared and submitted in a timely manner
HR and Office Administration
- Advise management on work matters, career development, personal problems
- Counsel employees on policies and rules relating to employment policies and programmes
- Review practices to ensure statutory compliance
- Document and provide relevant input regarding conduct and misconduct of employees
- Assist with the investigation and processing of disciplinary cases and grievances
- Provide advice and information to management and employees on HR policies and procedures
Organisational Effectiveness and Leadership
- Drive initiatives in the management team and organisationally that contribute to long-term operational excellence
- Contribute to short and long-term organisational planning and strategy as a member of the management team
- Assist in reports and proposal writing
- Assist the organisation with their media and social media presence (FB, Twitter, Instagram) and on-line content (website and e-newsletter)
Governance and Operational Policies
- Develop, implement and updating (on-going) an operation manual for ELA incorporating key operational policies and procedures to maintain a robust environment across the organisation.
- Develop, manage and enhance effective governance processes and systems
- Agree, communicate and review all ELA operational policies and procedures in cooperation with the relevant stakeholders
- Regularly monitor compliance with ELA operational policies and where necessary recommend strategies for improvement
- Monitoring the team’s performance against the agreed organisational standards and ensure the problems are identified and resolved
- Supporting both the professional and personal development of staff, ensuring they can be proactive on all matters thus maximising and integrating the effectiveness of the service they provide
- Oversee and provide support for logistics and coordination of large events, meetings and conferences hosted by ELA.
- Covering letter indicating suitability for the post
- CV with three references
Availability: to start 1 April 2019