Southern Africa Litigation Centre
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC) promotes and advances human rights and the rule of law in southern Africa, primarily through strategic litigation support and capacity building. SALC provides technical and monetary support to local and regional lawyers and organisations in litigating human rights and rule of law cases in the region. SALC also provides training in human rights and rule of law issues and facilitates networks of human rights lawyers and organisations throughout southern Africa.
SALC seeks to appoint a Senior Lawyer to head its Rule of Law and Freedom of Expression work, to be based in Johannesburg.
These programmes work to advance human rights and promote and protect the rule of law and rights to freedom of expression and association in southern Africa. SALC aims to support legal cases before domestic courts, training and facilitating legal networks throughout the region and high level advocacy.
- Identify, develop and coordinate legal cases on rule of law, access to justice and freedom of expression, association and assembly and related issues
- Conduct legal and factual research and drafting reports for advocacy purposes
- Conduct advocacy with respect to specific legal cases, including engaging in media advocacy
- Organise and convent events on key issues and representing SALC at relevant fora
- Provide and monitor technical and financial support to local lawyers and organisations for on-going legal cases
- Develop relationships with local lawyers and non-governmental organisations
- A degree in law is required; LL.M and other advanced degrees are highly desirable
- Proven interest and experience in human rights and freedom of expression/association, rule of law or access to justice issues
- A minimum of seven years’ litigation experience
- Knowledge of international and regional human rights laws and instruments
- Oral and written communication skills
- Legal and factual research skills including online sources
- French or Portuguese language skills is desirable
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Willingness to travel extensively
To apply, submit a letter of interest and a two page CV (do not include of degrees or testimonials) to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line of your e-mail must state “Application: Rule of Law / Freedom of Expression Programme Lawyer”.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about the Southern Africa Litigation Centre, refer to www.southernafricalitigationcentre.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies