The Zero Dropout Schools Initiative
MENTOR MANAGER: READING FOR MEANING – ZERO DROPOUT SCHOOLS INITIATIVE
The Zero Dropout Schools Initiative incubated by DG Murray Trust is working toward the vision of halving the number of learners who are pushed out of the basic education system before grade 12 by 2030. This ambitious vision aims to set a common agenda and provides direction and clarity to mobilise and direct the activities of a diverse range of stakeholders towards the same critical outcomes.
In order to meet the ambitious target, one of the key strategies towards driving the development of a national network of ‘Zero Dropout Schools’, is to develop and demonstrate catch-up of reading for meaning as a core competency that underpins school (and life) success. To this end, the Zero Dropout School initiative is recruiting a Mentor Manager to work closely with the project lead, and will provide mentorship to community reading volunteers and oversee quality assurance.
Job Function and Responsibilities:
- Develop a practical mentorship support programme for community reading volunteers based on learnings from the ground and research;
- Extend this to develop a practical training and support programme and management system for mentors;
- Develop the recruitment and selection process of mentors; co-develop a quality assurance system; and contribute to the overall development and rollout of the programme.
- Manage all stakeholder relations on the ground
Core skills and background:
- A relevant degree in the field of education, project management, and/or community development.
- Minimum of 3 years track record of managing the implementation of projects in the NGO sector
- Experience in mentorship or coaching would be preferable
- The ability to make things happen in a start-up environment, think strategically and provide clarity and direction in uncertain contexts.
- Strong people and management skills and experience working with diverse and widespread teams.
- Ability to communicate well in verbal and written formats. The Mentor Manager must be fluent in English and at least one other South African language, preferably Xhosa.
- Experience with volunteer management and volunteer driven programmes
- Experience in literacy-driven programmes is preferable.
- Driver’s license and willingness to travel essential
- The suitable candidate will be proactive, able to mentor others, able to project manage and responsive ways and enjoy implementation work in a start-up context
This is a 12 month, fixed term, contract. Salary negotiable based on skills and experience. The position is based in Cape Town. The position will require domestic travel.Interested candidates should send a short letter of motivation, CV, and the names and contact details of three references by email to email@example.com by 18 March 2019.