Researcher/ Energy Policy Officer at Earthlife Africa Jhb
Applications close: 20 March 2019
Job Description: The candidate will be responsible for engaging in government policy on fossil fuels (with a strong focus on coal), nuclear power, renewable energy, electricity tariffs, energy procurement, and climate change policy (mitigation and adaptation).
This will entail research, advocacy, media work, working on environmental impact assessments, and some education. This is a full-time and junior position and would be in Johannesburg. Salary dependent upon experience, between R240, 000 and R300, 000 per annum. This is an annual contract
- To be considered for appointment at Researcher/EPO level you should preferably have a masters degree in a relevant social science. We will also, consider applications from candidates who have a strong track record of directly relevant experience, in community-based research, advocacy and development, but do not have the necessary formal qualifications but nearing completion.
Sound knowledge of the energy sector and of climate change issues, both domestically and globally. Commitment to environmental and social justice. Self-motivated and the ability to work on own initiative. Ability to write clearly, concisely and to deadline. Strong research and computer skills. Public speaking skills. Ability and willingness to travel. In addition, it would be advantageous to have:
- Verbal and written fluency in at least two languages. 3-5 years of work experience in energy and/or climate change. Strong knowledge of civil society and the environmental sector. Publishing history. Experience in advocacy and media relations.
Skills and Experience:
- Research experience with proof of peer reviewed published work
- A record of published research in a relevant area or evidence of good research and writing skills.
- Relevant experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in working with community-based organisations.
- Contributing actively to all stages of the research process.
- Coordinating policy and advocacy interventions and related project activities.
- Preparing and presenting policy and press briefings based on research findings.
- Representing ELA in public forums.
- Coordinate and conduct quantitative and qualitative work of ELA research projects;
- Coordinate and conduct the development of research and policy papers and present them at workshops, seminars and conferences organised by ELA
- 1. Covering letter indicating suitability for the post
- 2. CV with three references
Availability: to start 1 April 2019