DG Murray Trust
PROJECT LEAD: READING FOR MEANING – ZERO DROPOUT SCHOOLS INITIATIVE
The DG Murray Trust is committed to making sure every child in South Africa can read for meaning. This strategy forms part of the DG Murray Trust’s incubated “Zero Dropout Schools” initiative, with the vision of halving the number of learners who are pushed out of the basic education system before grade 12 by 2030.
This ambitious vision aims to set a common agenda and provides direction and clarity to mobilise and direct the activities of a diverse range of stakeholders towards the same critical outcomes.
In order to meet the ambitious target, one of the key strategies towards driving the development of a national network of ‘Zero Dropout Schools’, is to develop and demonstrate catch-up of reading for meaning as a core competency that underpins school (and life) success. To this end, the Zero Dropout School initiative is recruiting a Project Lead to design, drive and manage a reading accelerator pilot programme, for older learners who are behind their reading age.
Job Function and responsibilities
- Design, organise and manage all logistics of the pilot reading for meaning programme in 2 provinces
- Manage all stakeholder relations including partner NGOs and schools;
- Recruit and manage trainers, mentors, partners, and reading volunteers required to implement the project
- Oversee branding and marketing design; of all project materials and ensure these are appropriate and functional.
- Surface learnings from the pilot project and ensure this is documented and analysed.
Core skills and background:
- A relevant post graduate qualification – such as one in the field of education, project management, and/or community development.
- Minimum 5 years track record of managing large-scale projects in the NGO sector.
- Experience in designing and/or managing large-scale community-focused programmes.
- The ability strategize, make things happen in a start-up context and work in a context of uncertainty.
- Have tenacity and ingenuity to design and drive a project from initiation to completion
- Project Lead has the ability to see the big picture and develop responsive strategy; but they also have an eye for detail and can design effective processes and procedures for project roll-out.
- Evidence of strong people and management skills and experience working with, and managing, diverse teams of people
- A strong understanding of M&E and quality assurance strategies for project management
- Experience in budget management
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well in verbal and written formats.
- Drivers License and willingness to travel essential
- The following experience is preferable:
- implementation or design of literacy-based interventions
- Fluent in at least 2 South African official languages.
- Experience in working with schools
The suitable candidate has the ability to design and manage effective implementation strategies for a large scale literacy intervention. They have the ability to work in the start-up context and respond to the real challenges of implementing something new on the ground. They are able to work with diverse stakeholders – from volunteers to school staff to education officials and inspire people to become champions of the project.
This is a 12 month, fixed term, contract. Salary negotiable based on skills and experience. The position is based in Cape Town. The position will require domestic travel. Interested candidates should send a short letter of motivation, CV, and the names and contact details of three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18 March 2019.