The Nali'Bali Trust
Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life.
The Nal’ibali Trust seeks to appoint a Senior Communications Officer, to be based in Cape Town.
Report to: The Head of Communications
This is a six months’ contract (maternity cover)
The purpose of the Senior Communications Officer is advancing Nal'ibali’s vision to both internal and external stakeholders by identifying and communicating with key audiences, plus the conceptualisation, management and coordination of all drives, events, key press releases and opinion editorial for both the Nal’ibali campaign and its Story Powered Schools projects in conjunction with the Digital Strategist. The growth and maintenance of media content partners airing or publishing Nal’ibali stories and content, and, further, oversees the design, production and delivery of campaign, programmatic and training materials to both the campaign and the project, as well as events and any special projects. Maintain media/sponsorship/supplier relationships with a range of organisations and individuals interested in and willing to support Nal'ibali.
- Conceptualising the annual national PR strategy for Nal’ibali and Story Powered Schools with the support of the PR and Events Coordinators (x2) and in conjunction with the Digital Strategist. This includes: strategic planning of all flagship events, key activations, and campaign drives from conception to completion to ensure maximum PR coverage, brand messaging, and alignment of activations with all Nal’ibali platforms including print and digital, as well as any on-the-ground activations as executed by field staff or external suppliers
- Forecast expenditure for each event and / or drive against the allocated budget, detailing expenses for materials, advertising, field team costs etc. and tracking and consolidating spending retroactively, as well as providing a reflection report on key drives to facilitate future planning
- Liaise with the training team, different programme departments and Digital Strategist to ensure consistent alignment of campaign drives with programmatic goals and that materials are designed and delivered timeously for training requirements throughout the year
- External messaging and branding including the development and design of an array of marketing and promotion materials including posters, flyers and other ad-hoc merchandise that supports flagship drives for both the Nal’ibali campaign, Story Powered Schools project and training team
- Secure and support high visibility speaking opportunities for the MD / other senior staff with the help of the PR and Events Coordinators
- Grow and maintain the network of media partners (i.e. Jet Club, Ackermans, community radio stations and newspapers etc.) airing or printing Nal’ibali stories and or other content in conjunction with the PR and Events Coordinators by maintaining an updated calendar between Nal’ibali and the publication or station
- Manage and direct the two PR and Events Coordinators including:
- Supervise roll-out of the above-mentioned drives and events
- Review and edit press release and other materials to ensure Nal’ibali’s high standard of content and brand alignment
- Ensure the maintenance of a comprehensive list of media contacts, particularly for regional and community newspapers and radio
- Provide support, performance evaluation and mentoring
- Manage and Direct the Traffic and Production Coordinator in:
- Secure competitive quotes in line with funder’s requirements
- Review of quantity and costs of requests against budgets and requirements of the programmes departments, training team and communications department against monthly and annual budgets
- Ensure timeously delivery by working closely with the Support Services team
- Generate monthly consolidated reports on media and PR coverage for Head of Communications
- Generate monthly consolidated reports on PR and Events activities
- Manage the PR and Events budget in conjunction with the Head of Communications
- Attend industry events and workshops to keep abreast of trends and development, knowledge- sharing and implementation linked to these
- Five to ten years' senior public relations experience
- Relevant qualification in public relations, journalism, communications or marketing
- Organisational and time management skills
- Proven ability and experience in expert event management, from conception, to execution
- Independent and proactive worker
- Self-starter with a can-do approach to life
- Ability to work under pressure
- Attention to detail and the ability to multitask
- Previous NGO experience an advantage
- A passion for literacy a distinct advantage
- Ability to speak another South African language a distinct advantage
To apply, submit your motivational letter and CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title on the subject line (e.g. Name Surname: Senior Communications Officer).
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Note that feedback will be provided to shortlisted candidates only.