Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC:
Position: Power Procurement Advisor
Contract Type: Independent Consultant
Recruitment Type: International ICA
Project: Southern Africa Energy Project (SAEP)
Outcome: Outcome 1 - Improved Regulation, Planning and Procurement for Energy
Location: South Africa
Delivery Range: April 2019 – June 2019
Language Requirement: English
Opportunity Closing Date: 18 March 2019
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work.We are seeking exceptional candidates with advisory expertise in Power Procurement for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program.
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Position Description and Objectives
The Power Procurement Advisor will develop a Competitive Procurement Practical Guide for countries in the region. The Guide is intended to assist countries in the region with the procurement of renewable power generation capacity from Independent Power Producers (IPPs). Countries are keen to understand at a high-level, the practical steps involved in procuring renewable energy from IPPs on the basis of competitive tenders, as countries move towards increasing accessibility to clean, affordable and reliable energy services for their people.
Responsibilities, Outcomes and Deliverables:
Under SAEP, the Improved Regulation, Planning and Procurement for Energy Outcome (Outcome 1) has the objective to improve amongst others, the procurement practices for new generation capacity.
As directed by the Deputy Outcome 1 Lead or his/her designee, the Employee shall perform, oversee, and support the performance of the following specific duties:
- Utilizing various research material, including the USAID/Power Africa Understanding Power Project Procurement Handbook, develop a Competitive Procurement Practical Guide (with suitable graphics, tables, charts, diagrams, illustrations etc.) in word format. The Guide is intended to assist countries in the region with the procurement of renewable power generation capacity from Independent Power Producers (IPPs). Countries are keen to understand at a high-level, the practical steps involved in procuring renewable energy from IPPs on the basis of competitive tenders, as countries move towards increasing accessibility to clean, affordable and reliable energy services for their people
- Attend all meetings with stakeholders in the region, as required by SAEP
- Turn around various versions of the draft Guide incorporating comments from stakeholders until the final Guide is produced
- Prepare materials for workshopping the draft Guide with stakeholders including Power Point presentations etc., take meeting notes, prepare reports following the workshops etc.
- Produce all reports and compliance documents as required by SAEP during the duration of the assignment for example, industry status updates, bi-weekly reports, etc.
Minimum Skills, Education & Experience:
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Policy and Law, Business Management, Finance Management, Economics, or a related field required
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the Power Sector
- In depth knowledge of and experience with Renewable Energy Power Procurement Implementation (including: unsolicited/direct negotiations, feed-in tariffs and reverse auctions), with particular emphasis on competitive procurement
- Experience in drafting research and similar papers/guides on Renewable Energy competitive procurement
- Well-versed in the African Power Sector with specific experience in the countries of Southern Africa
- Knowledge of IPP and government led PPP projects
- Knowledge of project and balance sheet finance as well as risk mitigation tools and experience in closing IPP transactions
- Proven written and oral communication skills; strong research, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, driving results across multiple work streams;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word)
- Strong individual initiative, including the ability to take ownership of work and work product
To apply, download and complete the application form (http://www.ngopulse.org/resource-centre/independent-consultant-application-form-1). Please send the completed form, a cover letter and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 18 March 2019. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.