Center for the Advancement of Community Advice Offices in South Africa (CAOSA)
CAOSA is a national organisation that supports the delivery of legal and related services through Community Advice Offices in locations where poor, marginalised and vulnerable people are based, in languages they speak and in an accessible meaningful way, so that they can realise their constitutional rights. We are committed to building a strong voice for the Community Advice Office (CA0) sector, building the capacity of its practitioners, and enabling them to provide quality access to justice to the marginalized communities.
CAOSA seeks to appoint a full time Coordinator: Communication and Advocacy, based in Johannesburg
Reporting to the Programmes Manager, the Coordinator leads the ambitious effort to advance CAOSA’s agenda through various platforms. The Coordinator will also be responsible for increasing awareness of the work of Community Advice Offices.
Summary of duties and responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides advice and expertise to the Programme Manager and Director on a range of advocacy and outreach issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves communications/ public relations issues/problems
- Develops and implements a creative approach to major communications campaigns and ensures effective design and delivery of information products in accordance with overall objectives and policies
- Coordinates the production of a diverse range of information products (including audio/visual communications)
- Drafts communications and advocacy material, including newsletters, reports and promotional materials
- Evaluates results and impact of communications activities; reports on developments, trends and attitudes
- Responsible for website maintenance
- Assist in translating policy, programmes and other research tools into communication materials (including website content)
- Builds information networks; plans and oversees maintenance of publicly accessible information materials
- Serves as an effective spokesperson, and forms strong partnerships with relevant parties in the Sector
- Write blogs, features and success stories about results achieved and efforts pursued and profile these on online platforms including Facebook;
- Produces scripts, conducts interviews and field visits to showcase the results and progress of programmes through short video clips and other tools;
- Responsible for creating and disseminating various messages through social media to the sector leaders, Governmental, NGOs, International and other civil society stakeholders;
- Assist in the organisation and preparation of communications materials for conferences, round tables, workshops and various other events;
Required Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- A minimum of a degree or equivalent in a relevant qualification e.g. in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences
- Minimum of five years’ experience in non-government organisation (NGO) sector
- A sound understanding of access to justice, human rights, advocacy, national development, community development and governance
- Knowledge of general development trends
Skills and Competencies:
- Fluent in English and another local language;
- Solid oral and written communication skills and experience in writing stories and using social media;
- Ability to think strategically, learn quickly, and express ideas clearly and concisely;
- Ability to work both independently and in teams;
- Ability to turn complex content into simplified and engaging formats;
- Self-confidence and sensitivity to gender and cultural diversity;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrated ability to manage complexities and work under pressure
- Excellent organisational skills with developed attention to detail.
Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter by 15 March 2019.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.